This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

As the weather starts getting cooler and schoolwork starts to feel heavier, a lot of people start to feel their mental health begin to slip or take a back seat in the long to-do list of all their many priorities. While it does feel that you could be doing something more productive rather than taking care of yourself, you can’t be at your best when you are neglecting yourself. So here are a few tips and reminders to be your best self, in no specific order!

1. Self-care

I know it sounds basic, but it is a necessity for everyone. Do whatever makes you feel better for yourself!

2. Exercise

Whether this is going to the gym or a simple walk around, make sure you get your blood pumping to take a break from studying! It will help you feel more alert to keep going and get better results.

3. Watch some TV or a movie

There is no harm in watching a guilty pleasure show or anything you enjoy.

4. Try something new

Go for it! Try something you’ve been meaning to try; you might enjoy it and it could become your new hobby.

5. Drink water

Super important, as always. Make sure you clean that water bottle and fill it up to stay hydrated. It’s good for your energy and even helps your skin!

6. Get enough sleep

I sound like everyone else now, but I am so serious. Without sleep, all your hard work can’t be executed to the best of your ability, especially when your brain is fried, and your body is exhausted. Shoot for 7-8 hours. Don’t forget naps are okay too.

7. Hang out with friends or call family

Don’t forget to not isolate yourself. We’re all pushing ourselves and trying to not fall behind, but we still need each other to help keep our heads up and remember why we’re doing all this. Surround yourself with support!

8. Music

This can be study music or just a 30 second dance party to loosen up and get your blood flowing, plus it’ll probably make you laugh too.

Lauren Stauch

Scranton '24

Hi! I am a junior at the University of Scranton majoring in kinesiology and minoring in psychology. I am also a member of the womens crew team.