Womens History Month 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Womens History Month 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Women You Probably Didn’t Learn About in History Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

In light of Women’s History Month, here at HC Scranton we are celebrating women who inspire us. The whole point of Women’s History is to address the erasure of women from history and culture, and to bring to light how although the status of women has evolved we have not achieved equity. This month seeks to celebrate the accomplishments of women. Although the hard work of women has been ovrelooked overall, certain groups of women have been erased from history more than others. With that being said, here are five trailblazing women you probably didn’t learn about in history class.

Marian Anderson

Marian Anderson fulfilled her childhood dream and became the first black singer to perform at the Metropolitan Opera in 1955. Marian Anderson paved the way for women of color artists to overcome racial prejudice that was holding them back. Her representation inspired young girls and women alike. She was one of the many women throughout history who selflessly paved the way for women in the future. She went on to sing at the inauguration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1957 and of John F. Kennedy in 1961.

Sacheen Littlefeather

Marie Louise Cruz, also known as Sacheen Littlefeather, is an Apache actress and an activist for Native American rights. In 1973, she represented Marlon Brando at the 45th Academy Awards to decline the Best Actor award for his performance in The Godfather. She has tirelessly worked to highlight Native American issues in culture like this. The win in question was boycotted in protest of Hollywood’s portrayal of Native Americans. Sacheen has continued to champion activism for women’s health and issues facing Native Americans. She has produced films about Native Americans too and is seen as a trailblazer in her field.

Elizabeth Peratrovich

Elizabeth Peratrovich was a trailblazer for dismantling oppression and inequality. She was instrumental in the passage of the first anti-discrimination act in the United States. In the 1940s, Peratrovich fought for equal rights for the indigenous peoples of Alaska. Both Peratrovich and her husband were Tlingit natives living egregated Alaska. Together they worked with their local government to implement legislation that outlawed discrimination based on race. In 1945, their anti-discrimination bill was signed into law and entitled all Alaskans to “full and equal enjoyment” of public establishments. 

Patsy Mink

Patsy Mink is a Japanese American trailblazer who was the first Asian American women to be elected to congress in 1964. In her four decades in congress, she worked to amplify the voices and rights of immigrants, women and children. She championed Title IX, which brought academic and athletic equity to American educational institutions. In 1972, Mink became the first Asian-American to go after the Democratic presidential nomination. She broke so many glass ceilings, and paved the way as an example for women and girls everywhere.

Sameera Moussa

Sameera Moussa was a trailblazer. She was the first of many. She was the first female Egyptian nuclear scientist.  She attended Cairo University, where she became the first woman to earn a doctorate in atomic radiation and the first woman to hold a teaching post. She strove to make the medical use of nuclear technology affordable to all people. 

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.