This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Write down something you’re grateful for 

Reminding yourself of small things that make you happier is a great way to actively boost positive mental health. Take five minutes every day to write down something you’re grateful for or one thing a day that made you happy to remind yourself to keep a positive attitude. This is a super easy way to boost your mood and help you feel good about yourself. A good way to do this is keep little notes in a cute jar or even a bullet journal with a section for your daily affirmations.  

Take some time for yourself  

It’s important to remind yourself that mental health is important. We all get stressed out (especially during finals week) so, it’s critical to take proper care of yourself. Whether that’s listening to relaxing music, taking a break from studying to catch up with a friend or even popping on a quick face mask, all the little things count.  

Go to bed on time  

This one, I may be a little hypocritical about. I’m personally the biggest night owl and never go to bed before 11pm. With that being said, I know from experience, it’s important that you get proper sleep time. We all need time to unwind and relax so getting some good sleep in is great for your mental health. Sometimes it’s better to give up on studying for the night and turn in to get some rest! 

Exercise  

Even if it’s something small like taking a walk or a couple of pushups, maintaining a workout schedule will help keep you happy and your mental health in check. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle plays an important role in positive mental health so make sure to keep on top of it, even if it’s not a full out workout  

Be kind to yourself  

Probably the most important thing you can do for your mental health is to simply be kind to yourself. We’re all dealing with difficult things (especially during a pandemic) so you need to remember that you’re only human, you will make mistakes but you will also get through the tough times.  

Caroline Gmyrek

Scranton '23

Caroline is a sophmore at the University of Scranton. She is a Journalism and Electronic Media Major for film production. In her free time, Caroline can be found drawing, listening to music, or watching movies!
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.