freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

4 Ways to Make a Long Distance Relationship Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Either you’re dating a boy from back home or from another college or maybe you know someone who’s in that situation: Here’s a few tips on how to make a long-distance relationship work.

1. Communication

They want to know what’s going on in your life just like you want to know what’s going on in theirs. Constantly keeping in touch is a must to make something hard just a little bit easier.

Texting: Through text you can keep up throughout the day, what’s going on, what’s your plans for the day, how is your day and how are you. Try to text as much as you can whenever you can… but don’t be obsessed and consumed with it, because everything in moderation!

Facetime: While Facetiming you can speak about longer and more serious things. You can schedule little dates to Facetime when you’re both free so that both can become excited during that time.

Phone Calls: Phone calls can also be the time to speak about long things that could be more serious or the complete opposite. Phone calls can be used as little fillers throughout the day to quickly say something that would be too long to text. Just to hear their voice to get you through the day, week, or month before you get to see them again.

2. Being Spontaneous:

Ladies, let’s be real here okay, we all know boys are really just not as smart or cute as us. So we have to learn to not have expectations of unrealistic things seen in the movies, even though we know we would do those things for them. We have to take what we’re given, as long as you’re getting what you deserve. Here are some ways to be spontaneous and spice it up!

Snapchat: Oh hello, snapping a cute little picture with a few Bitmoji’s of you two together saying something sweet can keep your man missing you. You can even snap a picture of your room or bed and write that you wish they were there to snuggle up and watch a movie. It really is the little things that’ll get him smiling and he’ll reciprocate by making you smile too.

Selfies: If you don’t know your angles girls, figure it out! It’s selfie time!!! Take some bomb selfies of you looking better than ever and send them to your man! You can type, do you miss me? Or I miss you! Amongst other cute little messages, so he can see your face, but hey we want to see theirs, too right? Ask for one back!

Mail: I know right, mail? Like who sends mail anymore? You can send your significant other a present or a hand-written letter through the mail to keep the romance alive.

3. Trust

Even if you left completely trusting him, sometimes it can be hard when us ladies overthink. If he says he’s going out with the boys, doing this or that you must trust him to know that you two will be okay! Don’t start controlling him or showing him your upset because even though a little bit of jealousy here and there can be cute, there’s a very thin line you can easily cross. And once you cross it, it’s no longer cute. So be confident, be accepting, tell him to have fun. Be different and show him that you know your worth and he should to! 

4.Visiting

Surprise!! Going home for the weekend or to their college to surprise them can be super emotional and amazing all at the same time. If you’re going home and know their schedule for the most part you can just go surprise them. You can even keep in touch with their family and friends to see what’s going on. If you’re going to visit them at college you can low key talk to them about their weekend to see if it’s a good time to go. If you’re unsure or not getting the answers you wanted you also can coordinate with their roommate. Keeping in touch with their roommate is super helpful so they can let you into their dorm hall.

It’s the little things and the big things that can show you love, appreciate and miss your other half. Put in the effort and they will too! Xoxo,

Gabriella

Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.