Puppy Happy Fun Girl
Puppy Happy Fun Girl
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

4 Ways Having a Support Animal Can Help Your Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Coping with emotional and mental struggles is a difficult task, especially coupled with the demands of school, work, and personal life. I am always looking for methods that can help relieve depression and anxiety, and today I’d like to highlight one that I feel has an important significance to me: having emotional support animals.  Emotional support animals differ from service animals in that they don’t offer any kind of physical benefit, but they can help you cope with feelings of loss, isolation, PTSD, depression, and anxiety. Today, I’m going to list the main four benefits I’ve found from having emotional support animals. Before I do so, I need to mention that before considering the adoption of ANY animal, please do proper research on that particular animal’s care needs.

1. Physical affection 

Physical affection is naturally comforting to nearly every person. Petting, hugging, or snuggling with your animal can help alleviate feelings of loneliness and depression. I even bring my guinea pigs out to sit in my lap while I do work. It’s comforting to feel the presence of your animal while undergoing stress. 

2. Positive Social Reinforcement 

This is a great one for anyone with PTSD, social anxiety, or anyone who has internalized poor or abusive treatment from others. If you take proper care of your animals, they will love you unconditionally, which means that while you are interacting with them, they are sending positive social cues your way (nuzzling you, paying attention to you, greeting you at the door, etc.). These positive social cues can help victims of abuse re-adjust to forming positive relationships and reciprocating positive social cues.

3. Sense of Responsibility

I, like many others, have had my bouts of depression. A depressed individual typically experiences a lack of motivation caused by a long-term disruption in mood. Many days, I am ill-motivated to accomplish anything I need to do for myself. However, it will be a cold day in hell before I let my animals go unfed or uncared for. Having the responsibility of caring for my animals (and knowing I will complete those responsibilities) often helps get me started for the day and makes it easier to be productive in my other daily responsibilities.

4. Animals Can Never Tell You, You Aren’t Good Enough 

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, your relationship with your animal is certain to be positive provided you just meet their physiological needs. Animals are emotionally simple creatures. They just want you to feed them. They will never walk out on you one day because you “didn’t listen” while they mansplained how the stock market works. They can’t gaslight you or manipulate you to the point of self-hatred. Great bonus: animals can’t talk. They can’t tell you if you look bad or good. They have no concept of aesthetics at all. The point is it is very easy to have a positive, healthy relationship with your animal. 

Hannah Evans

Scranton '22

I’m just out here Idk