Why Women Should Try THINX Period Underwear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

C’mon, girls, it’s time to ditch the pads and tampons! There are so many different, much healthier, alternatives to generic feminine products on the market. You should at least give them a shot.

One of these new feminine products is THINX Period Underwear. Apparently, you can simply wear a pair of their panties without a pad or tampon, and you won’t bleed through them, due to their leak-proof design. MIND BLOWING! The underwear manufacturing company was founded in January 2014 by Miki Agrawal and her twin sister, Radha. Their major goal: To break the “period taboo”. They stress the notion that a woman’s period is NOT something to be ashamed of, but something to be celebrated! (Because we wouldn’t be on this earth without the menstrual cycle, duh!)

Although most women have considered the panties a huge success, there are others who have mixed feelings, and won’t even give them a chance. But it can’t be denied that THINX Period Underwear has positive benefits on our health, the environment, and is changing the way our society views periods for the better.

For one thing, you’re doing the planet a favor when you use period panties. Because they’re reusable, you’ll be taking out the garbage a lot less. According to a Huffington Post article, the average woman living in America uses “16,800 tampons in her lifetime”. This makes up a huge portion of the waste in our landfills. To make matters worse, because pads and tampons are mainly made out of plastic, it will take them years to biodegrade. 

This brings me to my next topic, which is why general feminine products are bad for your body. According to recent studies, the average pad contains just as much plastic as four plastic bags! The chemicals in plastic, like BPA and BPS, can contribute to heart disease and cancer. Dr. Joseph Mercola also states that plastic “restricts air flow, trapping heat and dampness, which can promote yeast infections in the vaginal area”. No, thank you!

Now, if that hasn’t convinced you to try Period Underwear, when you buy a pair from THINX, they give reusable menstrual pads to women in developing countries, who can’t afford them. Most women in Uganda use pieces of cloth, newspaper, and banana fiber to control their bleeding, which isn’t very effective. Because of this, 50% of girls miss school for a week when they’re on their period. Some of them even drop out of school completely! No woman should be THIS negatively affected by her period! Your THINX purchase can not only make a difference in your health and the environment, but it can also change the lives of many other women around the world!

After hearing about how amazing period panties are, I just had to try them myself. While many would assume that it would feel like wearing wet bathing suit bottoms all day, that isn’t the case. THINX underwear has an antimicrobial cotton interior, and nylon/spandex exterior, resulting in everyday comfort. The company makes several different styles of the underwear, for light and heavy period days. They claim that heavy day panties hold up to 2 tampons worth, and they weren’t lying! I wore them to bed the first two nights of my period, and found no stains on my sheets the next morning. 

Photo Credit: shethinx.com

So what are you waiting for? Visit shethinx.com for more information, and to order yourself a pair (or maybe two…)

My name is Kaley! I am from Long Island, NY. I'm a Film and Television major at Savannah College of Art and Design. My goal is to one day produce, direct, and write films and music videos. Along with Film, I also love singing, photography, writing, and yoga.