Why all Schools should have a BSA Club!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

The Black Student Association (BSA) is a club here on SCAD’s campus that strives to create cultural diversity within SCAD’s already diverse student body. BSA promotes social awareness through cultural events, discussions, and community interactions allowing all ethnicities to build and advance together.

Clubs like the Black Student Association are essential to college campuses because it allows the campus to be more culturally aware. Clubs like this one teach and strengthen the perception & understanding of minority students by those who are not of that race. Having culturally diverse programs, such as BSA, is an essential part of one’s education and development.

Campuses with clubs that are catered to minorities are more welcoming to various cultures and races. These clubs attract and diversify the school as well as give different perspectives and viewpoints on the work the students produce. These clubs are essential for giving those students a place to seek, relate to, and build relationships with others of that culture. Clubs catered to culture truly enrich those of that culture or race, as well as benefiting those outside of it.

In an act of commemoration and celebration of Black History Month, BSA hosted an event every Friday of the month of February. The Black Student Association kicked off the month of events with “Kickback with BSA”, where members enjoyed a night of games, food, fun, and prizes. On February 12, BSA and its club members marched to the Civil Rights Museum on MLK Blvd and on February 19, BSA hosted its 13th Night of Music and Poetry at the Foundery Coffee Pub. This event allowed students of SCAD to share original poetry and music. The final and grandest event of them all was the BSA showcase, themed Lights, Camera, Excellence. The celebration, which was held on February 26 in Arnold Hall, showcased talents and artists within our community and on SCAD’s campus. It was an exceptional event which brought out a number of people. We’re so excited to see the bright future for the Black Student Association club.

To join or seek more information about this club, join the Facebook group: SCAD Black Student Association, visit the blog: blog.scad.edu/bsa, Follow them on Instagram: scad_bsa or simply send an email at bsa@scad.edu.

Fashion Marketing and Management & Fashion Design student at SCAD.
Hello! My name is Angela Kastrunes. I am a senior Fashion Marketing and Management student at SCAD. I am the founder/CC for Her Campus-SCAD. Our chapter has grown so much over the past 3 years. I'm excited to say we have expanded to the Atlanta campus, and now have over 20 members combined. It's very bittersweet to realize this is my last year, working as a CC for HC. After graduation I hope to either work in social media management, PR for a fashion brand/music label, or as an editor of a fashion magazine (or Her Campus Nationals).