Style > Beauty

What Will Be The Biggest Beauty Trends of 2018?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Happy New Year everyone! 2018 is already here! Can you believe it? 2018 has already proven itself to be a year of transition and change, especially within pop culture. When it comes to fashion, beauty, and style, it seems that the United States is shifting their focus on influence. So, what are some of the predicted big trends this year?

I’m sure you have seen Taylor Swift’s music video,’ Look What You Made Me Do’, already. Whether you loved or hated it, Taylor seems to display the new trend for hair: loose perm curls and the wet hair look. Obviously, Taylor isn’t the first or only one to do this. Go back to the 1970’s and 1980’s and you’ll find many people doing their hair like this. Stevie Nicks is one of the most notable in this circumstance. However, I’m pretty sure that the big turn on to this trend was thanks to Stranger Things 2. Both Nancy and Eleven sport the curls within the new season! Another big hair trend this year is ash blonde hair color. This color has been seen on several celebrities including Hayley Williams, Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, Kesha, Elizabeth Olsen, and Scarlet Johansson. Some have dyed their hair this color for films, their new albums, or just for fun! It’s definitely a new, unique color that is taking the scene by storm!

Where is makeup heading? While the cat eyeliner and smokey eye have been reliable go-to’s throughout the years, it seems that those are slowly on their way out. 2017 saw the beginning of the natural makeup look. Back in the day, the primary goal of makeup was to make someone look good in a natural way. We have strayed away from that in recent years, but it looks like many makeup brands are gearing towards the natural look again. Too Faced has been doing phenomenal with their Sweet Peach collection, filled with light pinks, tans, yellows, browns, and of course, peach colors. Glossy lips have been the new lip trend instead of bold lip colors. It looks like we’re going back to basics in the makeup world. 

Lastly, we have fashion. Fashion has a few new influences coming underway. Before, we saw plenty of nostalgia from the 1990’s in clothing from 2015-2017. However, it seems we are now going a little farther in the past and bringing in more of the 1970’s and 1980’s into fashion. For the 70’s, flare jeans, fringe, and floral prints are popping back up in the trendiest stores, perfect for the spring! Bold colors, denim and leather jackets, and band tee’s from the 1980’s have been spotted as well. Some other obscure influences can be seen in 2018 fashion too! Punk, Gothic  and vampy style clothes and colors are taking the stage as well. During New York Fashion week, trench coats  sequins, and art-inspired fashion were used quite a bit and is predicted to hit stores here soon as well!

Whether you are a trend setter, trend follower, or trend reject, we can all agree that this year is going to be a year of change for the beauty industry. I hope you enjoy the new year and go into it with style!

Amy Kulp is a Senior at Savannah College of Art and Design, majoring in Fashion Marketing and Management. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she is either working on her own styling business, shopping, or performing in theatre productions. When she graduates, she plans on moving to New York City and working either as a personal stylist or as a creative director with one of the many fashion houses New York has to offer.