Ways To Make Your Summer Worthwhile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

It’s finally May. What does that mean? Well, it’s almost June, and before you know it, the school year will be over. 

While the arrival of summer vacation is exciting, it can also be quite daunting. You may be asking yourself:

“What am I going to do with all of this spare time?!” 

If you’re anything like me, you want to spend the summer being productive, while also giving yourself some time to chill. 

Here’s a list of things you can do to keep yourself busy, and have fun!

1. Get An Internship

Your summer break is the perfect time to apply for an internship, paid or not, in your field of choice. Use the internet or talk to your advisor about some internship opportunities. You may be surprised with what’s available. 

An internship will not only kill time, but you’ll also get more experience in your field, and make new connections. This will definitely increase your chances of landing a job after college, which is never a bad thing. 

Photo: University of Nebraska Omaha 

2.    Take College Classes

This option doesn’t sound very fun, but it will help you in the long run. The plus side is that it gives college students the chance to get Foundation or Core Curriculum classes out of the way, like Math or English.

Once you complete these classes, you’ll be able to move onto other courses you actually enjoy much quicker. 

If you don’t want to overwork yourself, you can take one or two classes, which will leave you with some spare time to do other things. 

Photo: studyblr.tumblr.com 

3.    Do Some Volunteer Work

If you’re spending your summer at home, then this is definitely one to consider. For anyone interested in having a positive impact on their community, you can find local nonprofits that will let you volunteer there.

Along with internships, this will also look good on your resume, and make you more desirable to future employers. And who knows, you may make new friends, and discover new interests you never thought you had. 

Some suggestions include:

• Animal Rescue Shelters 
  • Food Pantries
  • Local Libraries
  • Local Art Museums
  • YMCA 
  • Retirement Homes

Photo: Leon County Humane Society (lchs.info)

4. Take On A New Hobby

Is there something you always wanted to try, but never had the time? Well, no more excuses, this is your chance! You don’t need to wait for the New Year to start making your resolutions a reality!

You can start crossing stuff off your bucket list NOW! 

Always wanted to learn how to surf? Find a surfing instructor, and make a splash!     

Want to read more books? Channel your inner Book Worm!

Interested in learning a different language? That’s what Rosetta Stone is for!

Want to get fit? Start jogging every morning and experiment with healthy food options!

As Shia LaBeouf once said, JUST DO IT! 

Photo: Nike 

5. Travel

Summer is all about going on new adventures, and exploring new places. So why not travel? If you have the opportunity to go abroad, definitely do so! Absorb the culture, learn all there is to learn, and try some exotic foods. 

If not, take advantage of where you are. You don’t have to necessarily go far. Explore the city or town you live in, or go on a road trip with close friends and family. 

Live in New York? Spend a day in NYC.

California? Go on a hike in Yosemite.

Arizona? Check out the Grand Canyon.

The world is your oyster!

You don’t have to spend a ton of money to travel. It doesn’t matter where you’re going, as long as you’re going somewhere! 

Photo: Pinterest 

Regardless of what you’re doing this summer, remember to enjoy it. It will be over before you know it. 

My name is Kaley! I am from Long Island, NY. I'm a Film and Television major at Savannah College of Art and Design. My goal is to one day produce, direct, and write films and music videos. Along with Film, I also love singing, photography, writing, and yoga.