There’s a New Barbie in Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Growing up, we all had our favorite toy. If you were a child of the 90’s, most likely your choice was beautiful, tall, thin, blue-eyed Barbie. Although Barbie isn’t the best role model in the body image category, today is a new day in a very new generation. You can now find Americas favorite doll in curvy, tall, and petite!

Mattel announced the new line last Thursday on its website;

“We have to let girls know it doesn’t matter what shape you come in, that anything is possible,” Tania Missad, director of consumer insights for the doll line, said in a video on the Barbie brand website.

The doll is now offered in four body types and seven skin tones, with 22 eye colors and 24 hairstyles. After a 4% drop in sales, Mattel is finally taking in consideration what their customer wants in their doll. For example, Barbie now has with moveable ankles that would allow the dolls to wear flat shoes for the first time!

Although there are still some image issues with the doll, this is one big step for this world-renowned company and another step to better the worlds view of body image. 

Did you have a favorite barbie, while growing up? What’s you’re opinion on the newest additions to the Barbie line? Let us know how you feel!