stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Nike Shorts: Not Just for Working Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Bet you never thought you could wear Nike shorts with heels, or much less outside of the gym. Well you totally can, and I’m about to share with you a few different ways you can take any colored workout shorts to a new level. No sweat needed.

The first way you can dress your workout shorts up is with a bodysuit. I found the inspiration for this outfit in a recent shoot with Blackmilk clothing and the we are 365 girls. In their collaboration, the model wore a Blackmilk bodysuit underneath nike-like polyester shorts with tights. However, if you are looking to tone it down, drop the tights, and pair the shorts with your favorite American Apparel bodysuit or crop (any bodysuit will do I just love theirs). Don’t be afraid to wear heels with it either. You can see my version of the outfit below.

(Outfit Details; Bodysuit: American Apparel, Shorts: Nike, Shoes: Dolce Vita, Accessories: Pac Sun and Michael Kors)

A less flashy way to style the shorts is to wear them with a graphic tee (preferably tied) and sneakers. The reason I like a tied t-shirt with this outfit is because without the extra detail you risk looking like you’re on your way to impress a cute boy at the gym. While that would be ideal, this outfit is meant to be worn to class or even to go out with friends. Any color converse, or similar sneakers go well with this idea.

(Outfit Details; T-Shirt: Danielle Guizio, Shorts: Nike, Shoes: Converse, Accessories: Michael Kors, Sassanova and Ann Taylor)

Finally, the third way I styled the shorts was with a cropped sweatshirt. I’m not talking your best friends state school sweatshirt either. Whatever sweater you wear, cropped or not, it needs to be one you wouldn’t wear on day when you feel like crawling back into bed. I can’t lie to you, this third look was inspired by Miley Cyrus. She may be a lot of things, but when it comes to style she’s one of my top icons. (I encourage you to open your mind to this idea as well!) Miley takes staple pieces and puts them together to create effortlessly cool outfits. This theory is applied here as well, a simple top and the shorts with one statement piece and shoes to tie it all together. Fairly simple, and cute. Heels aren’t a necessity when it comes to styling this outfit, but if you end up wearing neutrals on both top and bottom, a pair of brightly colored heels gives the outfit that extra “push” it needs. 

(Outfit Details; Sweatshirt: Forever21, Shorts: Nike, Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell, Accessories: Michael Kors and Sassanova)

One last key to making all of these outfits work, accessorize. Whether you layer a bunch of little necklaces, stack a few bracelets on, or wear one big statement piece that brings it all together, accessorizing is absolutely necessary. Have fun taking the day off from exercise. Leave your hair down while you do it. 

Thank you Maddie for shooting me once again; if you’d like to see more of her work check out her portfolio at http://www.behance.net/madeleinemivey.

Student at the Savannah College of Art and Design majoring in Fashion Marketing and Management with a minor in writing. Shoe enthusiast with a deep rooted love for Alexander Wang. Contact: ashleynrosales@gmail.com Instagram/Twitter: @smvshed www.smashedavocados.com