stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Maria José Reyes on a Balanced Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Photo courtesy of Maria José Reyes.

I met Maria José Reyes during our first day at SCAD Atlanta during Fall 2013. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, Maria is now a senior fashion marketing and management major. With several internships, jobs and courses on her resume, it’s a wonder how she manages everything. A dedicated student and healthy eater, Maria offers some insights on what it takes to stay balanced.

Kamila Morell:  You are involved in many activities (senior-level classes, president of Fashion Lux, internships, working at the gym … ) what is your approach to handling stress?

Maria Reyes: Being involved in multiple activities has the upside of helping me socialize, creating opportunities to discuss different topics. For handling stress, I walk everywhere. Walking helps me relax.

KM: What is your approach to being and staying healthy as the quarter progresses?

MR: I admit that being at SCAD makes it really hard to consistently attend the gym. This is why in order to stay healthy, I focus on walking and healthy eating. Before the week starts I prepare my meals; things like fresh veggies, quinoa and fish or chicken (I don’t eat pork or red meats). I’m a strong believer in not skipping meals, so this prepping process is really helpful. I also try to sleep eight hours every day, and drink a lot of water.

KM: Has working at the gym influenced your views on health/fitness?

MR: It made me research more ways to have fun workouts.

KM: Have you always been mindful about health/fitness or did you have a transition?

MR: I have always been mindful about health and fitness because my family are health freaks, especially my mom. It was part of my life growing up in Ecuador. But ever since I moved for college I have realized that being healthy can be really fun, and I love the specialty products you can find in places like Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods.

KM: What do you like to do to relax and decompress from your busy schedule?

MR: To relax I like to go outside for a run. Since I’m a very outdoorsy person I love going hiking, running or just for a nice walk. It’s good physically but also helps to clear the mind.

Kamila is a Fashion Marketing and Management student at the Savannah College of Art and Design, Atlanta campus. Originally from Puerto Rico, Kamila is an island girl by birth, but a city girl by heart. She is interested pursuing a career in fashion publications and editorials