kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How Being Vegan Has Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

It’s been almost a year since I decided to transition from dairy to almond milk, and chicken to tofu. 

Yes, I am Vegan… and proud. 

But it’s not always easy being Vegan. It can be hard to find places to eat, and people can be critical of it. But in terms of my health and well-being, being Vegan has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. 

It has greatly impacted my life. And here’s how:

1. My Food Cravings Have Totally Changed.

At this point, my body has completely adapted to Vegan foods. In fact, I prefer them. 

Recently, I went to Carlito’s (Mexican Bar and Grill) for my friend’s birthday. I ordered a burrito, substituted with vegan cheese. When my food came to the table, I noticed that the cheese didn’t look right. I tried a little, just to make sure. It was real cheese. 

As someone who used to be a cheese enthusiast, I was now repulsed by the taste of real cheese. Just one bite made me feel sick to my stomach. When I first became Vegan, I thought vegan cheese tasted like plastic, but now I genuinely enjoy it. 

Photo: peta.org 

I’ve also started liking other foods that I never liked before; like soy products and coconut. Now, all of my favorite foods are pretty much healthy. 

Rumor has it that if you cut certain foods out of your diet for 30 days or more, you stop craving them. I can confidently say this is true. 

2.   I Have More Energy/ Feel Healthier 

It is definitely true that you are what you eat. If you eat crap, you’ll feel like crap. Simple as that. 

Since becoming Vegan, I rarely have digestive issues, I sleep better at night, and just have more vitality overall. 

Pardon me for sounding like a hippie, but becoming Vegan is like a spiritual awakening. It’s a feeling that’s hard to describe, unless you’ve been through it. Within a couple of weeks, I felt noticeably different from eating healthier. Since then, I’ve felt “cleaner.” I rarely feel like laying down, or have that “heavy” feeling, after a big meal. I feel energized and happier. 

At the end of the day, I feel like I’m doing myself and the environment a favor. 

It’s a good feeling. 

3.   I Have A Greater Appreciation For Food 

I get very excited about food. I always have. But now, that excitement has been multiplied by 10,000! 

Vegan foods can be hard to come by. When I find vegan foods at the grocery store, or see a vegan item on a restaurant menu, I have to try it! I’ve become more adventurous when it comes to trying new foods. 

Mac and “Cheese” made out of blended sweet potatoes and pumpkin? Sure! 

Ice Cream made from coconut milk? Why not!

I haven’t been disappointed yet!

Vegan foods being bland is a complete myth! Almost every vegan meal I’ve had has tasted pretty good. My non-Vegan friends would agree with me! 

I’ve also learned that food science is amazing. The combinations of foods people come up with are incredible! 

Who would’ve guessed that mixing cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and sea salt would make a delicious Vegan Parmesan cheese? Like seriously, I was convinced it was real cheese when I first tried it. My (non-vegan) family was blown away, too. 

Photo: minimalistbaker.com

4.    I No Longer Limit Myself

Many people think that by being Vegan, you restrict yourself from a lot of great foods. But I’ve never found that to be the case. 

When I was a senior in High School, I somehow convinced myself that I needed to lose 10 pounds (That may not sound like much, but I’m quite a petite person as is). 

So, like anyone on a diet, I stopped eating carbs, starches, and sugar. And whenever I did eat those things, I made myself feel guilty about it, as if I had committed a crime. I let it ruin my entire day. 

In time, I successfully lost 10 pounds, but I still wasn’t happy. I didn’t look healthy, and I definitely didn’t FEEL healthy. 

Once I become Vegan, and started exercising regularly, I began to love the way I looked. I was eating much healthier, WITHOUT cutting anything out of my diet. I learned that (good) sugars and carbs are essential for your health, in moderation.  

I no longer fear sugar. In fact, I never turn down desserts (as long as they’re vegan). I can easily say my relationship with food has greatly improved in the past year. 

If someone told me two years ago that I would become Vegan in the next year, I wouldn’t have believed them. I never would’ve imagined giving up cheese and butter. 

By writing this article, I’m not trying to convert anyone to Veganism. A Vegan diet isn’t for everyone. But, I hope to show people that being Vegan isn’t as “extreme” or “difficult” as it appears. 

It’s not another “dieting fad”. It’s a lifestyle. 

Photo: veganstreet.com 

My name is Kaley! I am from Long Island, NY. I'm a Film and Television major at Savannah College of Art and Design. My goal is to one day produce, direct, and write films and music videos. Along with Film, I also love singing, photography, writing, and yoga.