This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

I’ve lost the desire to read the newspaper or watch the news in the morning. For the past few months, every headline has left me feeling hopeless. I don’t want to lose faith in humanity, but it’s becoming difficult to stay positive. 

From the mass shooting in Las Vegas to the catastrophic hurricanes in Puerto Rico, it seems like everything in the news lately has been depressing. Global warming is at an all time high, while the amount of discrimination and violence has gotten out of control. It makes me wonder if there’s any good left in the world. 

I would like to take this opportunity to shed light on the positive, and less discussed, events going on the world currently:

1. Over $9 million has been donated to victims of the Las Vegas shooting

Within hours of the tragic shooting in Las Vegas, people began creating and donating to GoFundMe campaigns, to help the hundreds of victims. In two days, they raised over nine million dollars. The money has gone towards relief and financial support for the victims and their families. 

Two of the largest campaigns, The Las Vegas Victims’ Fund and #LoveArmy, have received thousands of dollars in donations from the Oakland Raiders, the NFL Foundation, and the GoFundMe company itself. 

Las Vegas businesses are also lending a hand to those affected. Uber is providing free transportation to anyone going to and from blood donation centers around the city. Allegiant Airlines is offering free flights to the family members of the shooting victims. 

Source: gofundme.com

2.   Celebrity chef brings meals to hurricane survivors in Puerto Rico

Since Hurricane Irma and Maria, celebrity chef José Andrés and members of his non-profit World Central Kitchen have been in Puerto Rico, preparing over 45,000 meals for famished survivors. His sandwiches, chicken and rice dishes, and paella galore have brought hope and happiness to thousands of victims.

Source: delish.com

3.   Scientists have created a “Super-Antibody”, capable of killing HIV strains

This new antibody, created by U.S. National Institutes of Health, can attack three major parts of the virus, making it effective in preventing infections. While previous HIV antibodies have only had a 90% success rate, these “tri-specific antibodies” have a prevention rate of 99 percent. This treatment will be offered to patients in 2018. 

4.   The Snow Leopard is no longer on the endangered species list 

The International Union for Conservation of Nature has announced a major growth in snow leopard populations in Asia. By using tracking technology, they have estimated the number of wild snow leopards to be around 4,000 and 10,000. For any species to be considered “endangered”, the population must be less than 2,500 and steeply declining. 

The IUCN believes that anti-poaching laws and the establishment of more protective wildlife zones in Central Asia has contributed to this comeback. 

Source: huffingtonpost.com 

Not feeling better yet? No worries, I’ve saved the best one for last: 

5.  Touring group of Acro-Cats have helped save the lives of 200 other felines 

Your new favorite band, The Acro-Cats, is a group of 17 feline musicians and circus performers. Feline enthusiast and animal trainer, Samantha Martin adopted the cats in 2009, and started the band to break the stereotype that cats can’t be trained. 

She’s been donating the show’s proceeds to local animal shelters. While on tour, she’s also been finding homes for over 200 foster kittens across the United States. 

Source: unleashedpaws.com

If you’re interested in reading more positive, heartwarming stories, check out:

goodnewsnetwork.org 

Now I’ll leave you with this quote: 

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

My name is Kaley! I am from Long Island, NY. I'm a Film and Television major at Savannah College of Art and Design. My goal is to one day produce, direct, and write films and music videos. Along with Film, I also love singing, photography, writing, and yoga.