Five Things I’ve Learned Since I Was 17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

When I graduated high school at 17, I had no idea what college would bring me (I was excited, that much I knew). Looking back now at 21 and a soon to be graduate, what I experienced has definitely been far different than anything I could have expected. So here are five things I’ve learned since I was 17.

1.     You will lose and make friends

Whether it’s old friends from high school or even friends you make along the way, expect to lose some friends. You may not even lose them completely, but you may find that you are not hanging out as frequently as you had before, or talking everyday like you once did. This isn’t bad, especially if this is something happening naturally. We grow up as individuals and as we are discovering new things about ourselves and develop our interest for other things, we may find ourselves moving towards people who are heading in that same direction.  This doesn’t mean you have to completely abandon them (especially if they’ve been a true friend to you), but don’t feel like you’re a bad person if you are hanging out with new people as well. If anything it will bring more excitement to the friendship. So that when you all get to hang out again you have different and unique stories to share about what you’ve been up too.

Me and my high school best friend are still tight to this day!

2.     You will change.

In some ways whether small or dramatically, you will change in some form. For me it was in my confidence. When I was in middle school and high school I battled with my weight a lot, and in college I made a decision to get in shape. That decision changed not only my physical appearance, but it gave me a new set of confidence I didn’t know I had. I started to dress differently and became more into fashion, I started to pursue modeling, and it even effected what I wanted to study in school! This is just a small example of how change can occur. Don’t be afraid of it. Other’s may criticize you for your change, but as long as you are healthy, happy, and making a positive impact, then what they are saying really doesn’t matter. If at the end of the day I can say I honored God, my family is proud, and my friends are positively influenced, my work is done.

Now it’s about 50!

3.You will be disappointed

Nobody is perfect. People who love you the most can sometimes fail you, and it’s disappointing.  Maybe you didn’t get that job you wanted, or you just went through a tough break up. Whatever the case may be , know that disappointments are a part of life and they will come sooner or later. What’s important is how we handle them, so that we don’t find ourselves getting discouraged. Do not let one bad experience put you in the mind set of thinking “ it will always be this way”.  Set your mind to start thinking, “I am disappointed by ______. But I will not let this interfere with my day. This will not dictate who I am, this will not keep me from where I am going, and it will not steal the joy and happiness I am going to have.”  The better you get at handling disappointments, the better you will be at preventing yourself from falling into despair. You got this girl!

4. You’ll question yourself…a lot!

What am I doing? What do I want to do for the rest of my life? Am I in the right place?  Girl it’s okay, we’re not all going to have everything figured out at the perfect time. Be open to trying new experiences and see where that takes you. Better to take your time to discover your passions, the rush right into something you are not happy to be in.

5.       You will be afraid to try new things (but you really should just do it!)

Do something different! When I was 17 I never thought by the time I graduated, one of the things people would know me for was for my poetry and spoken word. Before going to college I never did any type of solo performance, but once I was introduced to it and decided to just go for it, I’ve enjoyed it ever since! To stand in front of an audience was once one of the scariest experiences and now has become of one of the most exhilarating experiences I’ve had in college. I’ve met so many amazing people, and have gotten amazing opportunities from it. It’s always a little scary to try something new at first , whether it’s a new haircut or a new job. Yet if you’re really excited about something that could have a better impact on someone, or even help build you up into becoming a better more amazing version of yourself, go for it! Some of the best things in life require a little risk taking, and that’s what makes life exciting.