This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Now I’m sure you’ve all heard of avocado toast, the trendy, healthy breakfast food that’s served at overpriced cafes. Well, I can confirm some of the hype, it is delicious. And you might think “toast won’t fill me up” but I stay full so long and I feel energized instead of gross and laggy when I have too many carbs for breakfast. Not to mention, there are so many variations of it that it stays exciting to eat. The only downside is that avocados do tend to go bad pretty fast, so be aware and don’t buy them in bulk. I’ve been experimenting with this, putting all sorts of things on my toast, and here are my three favorite avocado toast recipes.

1. Bacon, Egg and Avocado

This has all the traditional breakfast foods. This one is great because it is packed with protein because of the egg and it definitely feels more breakfast like than my other choices. So if you want a healthy option but the big fatty breakfast feel, this is the toast you have to try.

Ingredients (for two pieces of toast):

2 slices of bread (I used wheat, but if you want to be even healthier, use whole grain)

1 small avocado

2 eggs (I poached mine but frying is even quicker, or go scrambled if you feel like getting fancy)

2 slices of veggie bacon (I’m a vegetarian so I went for veggie bacon but you can sub in regular or turkey bacon)

2. Sriracha Avocado Toast

I love avocado sushi, which tastes great with sriracha and that is why I tried it on my toast. Try it with less sauce first as it is a little spicy. This version is the fastest option so if you’re out the door it’s a good choice, and it can work for any meal or as a snack as it’s not breakfast specific. Avocado can be fairly bland on its on, but the sriracha gives it a flavor kick.

Ingredients (for two pieces of toast):

2 slices of bread

1 small avocado

Sriracha

3. Greek Avocado Toast

Greek avocado toast was my favorite version that I tried. It’s great for breakfast or for lunch. This option is simple and healthy and you can add more veggies to it if you’re feeling adventurous. After I ate this I felt energized and full, and I recommend it to someone who has a busy day.

Ingredients (for two pieces of toast):

2 slices of bread

1 small avocado

diced cucumber

feta cheese

olive oil 

Give avocado toast a chance! As college students we often forget to take care of ourselves and having good eating habits doesn’t take up too much time but it makes a huge difference. If you try avocado toast and you don’t like it, try a different recipe! All three tasted very different. Also, it’s really fun to experiment with new ingredients, so find out what works for you!

Food stylist: Ian Delisle

Food Photography: Julie Sampson

Julie is a fashion marketing and management student at the Savannah College of Art and Design. She is working toward a career in fashion promotion so writing is very important to her. Other passions include theatre, dogs and girl scout cookies.