danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Angela Kastrunes: SCAD’s Fashion Queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Fittingly nicknamed “The Fashion Queen,” Angela Kastrunes has had a whopping seven internships since she has been at SCAD. Her blog, Maryland Fashionista 410, has skyrocketed to success in its two years running. Oh, and she’s the editor-in-chief of HerCampus SCAD! How does she do it? Find out in our interview below!

Hometown? Baltimore, Maryland

Year? Sophomore

Major? Fashion Marketing and Management

What first sparked your interest in fashion?  

I would have to say I was around the age of four when I first realized my love for fashion. My Mom and Grandmother took me on weekly trips to the mall. Although I was supposed to be enjoying storytime, all I wanted to do was go look at clothes and shoes.

When did you decide you wanted to pursue a career in fashion?  

Throughout high school, I always thought I would attend a music school in NY. After major research, I learned the chances of me becoming an international popstar were around 1 in a 1 million.  I then started thinking of alternate career paths, and the only other profession that interested me was fashion.

When did you create your blog and what made you want to start blogging?  

I created Maryland Fashionista 410 the summer after high school. I decided to create my blog as an application requirement for Teen Vogue Fashion University. I wanted my application to stand out in hopes of being one of 500 Fashionistas selected to go to NY for a weekend filled with networking, seminars, and parties. 

Your blog has become majorly successful– what has it been like to have collaborations with major fashion retailers like Macy’s and Poof Apparel?  

To be honest, I never imagined my blog becoming this successful. The first time a brand contacted me about featuring a product on my site, I read over it about 20 times to make sure it wasn’t mistakenly sent to me. Macy’s and Poof Apparel have been amazing. Since I shop at Macy’s religiously, it only felt right to partake in a 6 week campaign with them.

What was your first internship, and how did you land it?  

My first internship was with a PR company in Soho. I worked their social media sites, as well as Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. The story behind me landing the internship is actually very funny. I had a really bad experience my first quarter at SCAD. In my last Drawing 1 class, my professor told me I was not going to amount to anything in life. These “words of wisdom” almost made me leave SCAD. To prove him wrong, I went back to my dorm, and applied for every fashion internship I could find. I received a call from the PR Company, and the rest is history.

How many internships do you have under your belt?

As of right now, I have 7 internships under my belt.

What advice would you give to aspiring fashionistas looking to land their first internship?  

My advice to anyone applying for internships is DO YOUR RESEARCH. You’re not going to find your dream opportunity by googling “fashion internships in NYC.” Make a list of every company you like, check out their career pages, and find contact information for someone in HR.

What has been your greatest accomplishment thus far?

I would have to say my greatest accomplishment thus far is proving everyone wrong. A lot of my friends/family in Baltimore never thought I would “make it.” I am proud of not only my career accomplishments, but personal accomplishments as well. I never thought I would be living in my own apartment 13 hours away from home.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

I hope to be writing for Teen Vogue or Lucky Magazine. If the writing industry doesn’t work out, I would love to work in-house PR for Steve Madden/Betsey Johnson.

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

I think everyone would be surprised to know I am a procrastinator. I wait until last minute to complete every assignment/article. It’s a horrible habit, and I don’t recommend my routine to anyone.

Anything special HerCampus should keep an eye out for from you in the near future?

I think everyone should continue to read Maryland Fashionista 410. I have some great articles/collaborations coming up in the next few weeks.

Check out Angela’s amazing blog for fashion advice, giveaways, and product reviews: http://www.marylandfashionista410.com/

My name is Tiffany Troumouliaris and I am majoring in advertising at SCAD.