free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Steps to Getting That Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Receiving an internship is an important part of your college years, no matter what major. Internships look great on your resume. You’ll be showing you not only have the knowledge of your field, but that you’ve actually been in the real world. You also experience applying your school knowledge to the real test AKA the working world. Although most students want an internship, they don’t know where to start or what steps to take. Here are five steps to help you further your progress to getting that dream internship.

1. Determine the internship(s) you want

Many have the mind set of applying to as many internships as possible. Yes, your professors maybe nagging you to get three internships at a time, but the important thing is you’re applying to companies you can see yourself working for after school. Who knows, the company you intern for may want to hire you after you graduate.

2. How to Apply

Sometimes the easiest way is to send your resume to the HR department of your dream company. From there, they could guide in the direction of applying properly, or at least they know your name and have you on file. You can also try applying through your school. In certain cases, they may have more connections then you think, and there are companies that only like to go through schools looking for interns.  

3. Resume and Cover letter

Be sure you have your resume 100% accurate and up to date because who knows when you’ll have to send it out next. Also, be sure to always have a mentor look over it. For example, a counselor, professor, and/or parent. The more eyes, the better. Cover letters are just as important. Many companies are asking for cover letters alongside your resume, so they understand why you want to work for them. If you are unsure of how to write a cover letter, though the internet may be some kind of help, go to your school counselor and they can guide you building the perfect cover letter.

4. Interview skills

We’re not all born with amazing interview skills, so practice, practice, practice! All schools offer interview practice seminars to give you experience. Don’t be afraid to use your resources because how you answer certain questions and sell yourself to the employer determines if you get the job. 

5. Wardrobe

Wardrobe is one of the most important aspects of an interview. You need to look the part of the job you want. What you wear also shows you know the company you want to work for. Some companies like their employees to wear jeans with a nice shirt while others like business suits. Be sure to research the company before the interview so you can be 100% prepared.