This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Books to Help You be the Best you

January is already flying by, leaving us with less and less time to achieve our goals. Goals can be so hard to stick to that many of us end up trashing our new year’s resolution after the first week. But not this year! It is year of the self-help book.  Self-help books can be a great way to recharge our inspiration and pick up many tips for life and goal achievement. Below are a few of the best inspirational and self-help books to help you end this year on top.  

#1 Becoming by Michelle Obama

Critics have been raving about Michelle Obama’s new book titled Becoming. This memoir takes an intimate look on the journey of Michelle Obama from early childhood memories to her life as first lady to her commentary about our current administration. The reason this book has been so inspiring for readers all over is that you get a real understanding of every obstacle Obama faced in each chapter of her life. For each obstacle Obama faced in her life, she set a goal. Each goal helped her surpass the obstacle and acts as connecting points through her life, and each chapter.

#2 You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero

Have some bad habits? Want to get rid of them? Well, then this is the perfect book for you. Jen Sincero, a best-selling author and famous success coach, shares easy tips in this book to help you be the best you. This book offers the best ways to identify your least favorable behaviors or habits, and offers ways to effectively change these bad behaviors. It offers a mix of daily self-help exercises, engaging stories, and sage advice.

#3  Extreme You: Step Up. Stand Out. Kick Ass. Repeat. by Sara Robb O’Hagan

This book takes you through the author’s career as she rises to the top of an innovative airline. She shares both her peaks and valleys as she shows what spurred her growth and what led to her being fired. She opens up about how losing her job impacted her life, the pressures faced trying to build her career and her thoughts on being single and aging. You see how her experiences shape her over time and grow her to leading a very successful department at Nike, a field where she had no previous experience and felt very out of place.

#4 Fifth Discipline by Peter Senge

Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline lays out five disciplines that aid in the success of any venture personal or professional. These disciplines are personal mastery, shared vision, mental models, team learning, and systems thinking. Each one has benefits by itself. When learned together the results are increased exponentially.

Share with us anything you learned from these self-help books or share with us some of your fav inspo and self-help books, by adding the hashtag #HerCampus to your Instagram post.

Angel Bailey

SCAD ATL '20

I’m a Fashion Marketing major, with a minor in business and fashion design. I also work as a mental health counselor. I love all things fashion, fun, music, travel, food and volunteer work.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World