harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Importance of “Me Time”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

College is no joke. With classes, extracurricular activities, and chores like cooking dinner and doing laundry, it’s easy to get stressed out and overwhelmed by a formidable to-do list. While it may seem like there’s no time to goof off or have fun, it’s very important to take time for yourself to avoid burning out. 

If you break down your homework load day-by-day, chances are you’ll be able to fit in some time for you, and it’s a good idea to take those opportunities and go for it. Whether it’s watching an episode of Netflix, curling up with a good book, playing with your cat or dog, going for a walk, or hanging out with friends; taking a break and relaxing can have major benefits for your mental health. Having some chill time can reduce your stress levels and help you feel better about the projects you have to do for the week. We all need to give our tired brains a rest from time to time, and when you return to your homework or classes you’ll be refreshed and energized.

Photo courtesy of pixabay.com.

1. Time mangement is your best friend.

Scheduling some “me time” can help you feel more relaxed, and when you’re more relaxed it’s easier to think clearly and to take a deep breath. It might feel impossible to incorporate “me time” into your day, but all it takes is some planning and awareness of your week’s homework. Give yourself a set amount of time to do your homework assignments, work on projects, and study each day, and reserve half an hour, an hour, or an hour and a half, however long works for you.

2. Do what you love.

There’s not really a wrong answer for what “me time” can be. It’s all up to you. Some people like to exercise, some people like to create or doodle, some people like to listen to music, and some people like to pet furry animals. Whatever it is, the goal is to find something that you genuinely enjoy and something that will let your mind have a break. Going to class and working on homework can be exhausting, and “me time” is kind of your brain’s equivalent of a power nap. 

Photo courtesy of pixabay.com.

3. Engage with social media.

We all need a form of escapism to get away from our crazy lives. Retreating into social media can be healthy at times so it’s okay to set aside time to throw yourself into Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or YouTube. If you have something to say or are just looking for a way to vent, try starting a video or written blog and share your original musings with the online world. 

As we tackle the second half of the quarter, please don’t underestimate the benefits of “me time.” Taking a break from stress is important, so plan ahead and try to fit some time to chill in to your daily routine. Everyone needs some time to decompress from a long day of classes and projects. 

My name is Kate and I love reading and writing stories. I especially love fiction and fantasy.