This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

My skin has an awful personality — it won’t work with me, it’s always irritated and I never know when it’s going to be in a good or bad mood. Probably a lot of you can understand what I mean. One of the things I like to do when I’m having a spa day at home is wear a face mask after I’ve washed and exfoliated my skin. Over the years I have tried dozens of masks from a range of different brands. Some of them, quite successful ones actually, can be made at home from ingredients in the kitchen. My skin type is a combination and easily tans. As a reward for getting through midterm madness, I’ve complied a few face mask recipes that work for me that you and your girls can try at home.  

Lush’s Mask of Magnaminty, $25

Image courtesy of Amazon.

I first started using this mask a year ago because one of the LUSH employees told me it would help clear up my skin and fade hyperpigmentation. The mask is thick, refreshing and it has a pleasant gritty texture. I have noticed a marked difference in my face in that it has become lighter and smoother. This mask didn’t help too much with acne but it does help even out skin tone. Lush has a wide range of face masks that I would suggest checking out — they’re natural and have a good reputation among users.

The Face Shop, $2 each

Image courtesy of The Face Shop.

This is a Korean brand that I stumbled upon while browsing through H Mart one day. Though they have a wide variety of options (among them lemon, chia seed and rice) I chose to try the pomegranate version. It left my skin moisturized and supple after working the serum into my complexion for only a few minutes. The next morning my face felt cool and smooth. This is a heavier product for those who don’t prefer rich textures and, just like all brands of face masks, it takes a while of consistent use to see results.

Mario Badescu’s Special Mask for Oily Skin, $18

Image courtesy of Belle Belle Beauty.

This thick, creamy mask is ideal for those who that love a really deep clean. It has a subtle fragrance and very pure consistency. I used it two to three times a week in order to reduce the oiliness of my T-zone throughout the day. After using this for a couple of weeks, I noticed that my foundation stayed matte for much longer and my makeup felt lighter than before I began using the mask.

DIY Lemon + Tomato Face Mask

Image courtesy of Ary Zaug.

A bit of a warning about this mask: it can sting when you first begin to use it, especially if you have sensitive skin. While the tomato and honey work to counteract the acidity of the lemon, it can still be quite strong. But lemon is great for reducing hyperpigmentation. The honey is a natural antibacterial that helps to reduce acne when used regularly on the skin. The ingredients are as follows: 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon honey and 1 teaspoon tomato pulp. Mix well and apply to clean skin. You can even cool these DIY mask mixtures to save them for over the summer.

DIY Avocado + Egg + Banana Face Mask

Image courtesy of Good Food.

This at-home mask is one of my favorites to do when I have time. It has a very rich texture that moisturizes my skin without leaving it feeling overwhelmed. The avocado and banana nourish the skin while the egg helps to tighten pores and keep my complexion looking healthy. Even if you do have oily or combination skin, it is still important to keep your face well moisturized, and this mask is heavenly for that. You’ll need half of a soft avocado, half of a ripe banana and one egg yolk to make this mask. 

What are your favorite face masks to buy or make? Share your advice in the comments below. 

An artist that chooses to express myself through writing and intense yoga poses. Right now I'm a junior at SCAD Atlanta and, as a result, a writer for HC SCAD. I am admittedly nervous to begin the new year because I'm going to delve into the waves of new students and try to find interesting people to interview. Here's hoping there's some crazy, fresh faces. I love looking at the stars and finding constellations in my free time and reading up on unsolved murder cases when I need a light read. I'm a little eccentric at times (and mostly brooding during the other hours) but I like to believe all the best people are.