Black Girls Who Rock at SCAD Atlanta: Meet Mahalia Latortue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Winter 2018 quarter was hands down one of the best quarters I’ve ever had at SCAD. Not only because of my classes and the people I met, but also because of my professors. My favorite professor that quarter who continues to resonate with me a year later was Professor Michael Kinney. He constantly stated to my peers and I in our Screenwriting class to “surround ourselves with greatness” and that the people in our classroom where the ones who were going to leave marks our lives. At first, I thought he was just kidding around and saying things that any normal professor should and would say. I didn’t know my classmate Mahalia Latortue would leave such a huge mark on my life and become a part of my Black Girl Creative Tribe.

When I met Mahalia last Winter quarter, I instantly clicked with her. The more I got to know her, the more I realized she was someone I wanted to be like. Mahalia isn’t just one of the kindest and smartest people I’ve ever met, she’s also a bomb producer and screenwriter. She even has own Podcast called The Struggle Is Reel, which focuses on the current state of film and television.

25-year-old Film and Television Grad Student Mahalia Latortue was born and partially raised in West Hempstead, NY. Growing up, her parents would frequently send her back to their hometown in Haiti. “Sak pasé to all my zoes!” she always says. She received her Bachelors in Broadcast Journalism at Oakwood University. Throughout the course of her career, Mahalia has interned at Viola Davis’ production company, JuVee Productions, introduced a panel at Sundance Film Festival, and has gone to Hong Kong to film a TV pilot and short film.

I sat down with Mahalia and had an intimate conversation with her about her career and passion for Film and Television and her podcast The Struggle Is Reel.

When did you first become interested in Film?

Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve been obsessed with storytelling. I remember playing and using my barbie dolls as a way to create different soap operas and plays. I had notebooks filled with short stories and ideas of things I would make up in my head. I was convinced that I was going to be a doctor or a United Nations Ambassador, so I didn’t pursue any real avenues geared towards storytelling. It wasn’t until the end of my freshman year in undergrad, that I realized I was on the wrong path. It wasn’t until I watched BBC Sherlock that I realized I had a true passion for TV and Film. Watching Benedict Cumberbatch’s incredible performance and being manipulated by the ingeniousness of Steven Moffat’s writing, impacted me on a level I couldn’t even begin to describe. After talking this over with one of my professors, I switched my major and never looked back.

What do you like to write about? Do you prefer comedy, drama, or action?

I love writing comedies and dramas! There’s something so sincere and authentic about both of those genres. Dramas pull at the heart strings and comedy uplifts people’s emotions. And when you have both present in a script suddenly, it makes the script so personal and even spiritual in a way. I feel that you get to really connect with your audience in these dramas because you’re making them feel very deep emotions.

What project that you’ve worked on or been a part of are you most proud of?

This is a very tough question because I’ve been blessed to have so many different opportunities. I think the thing I’m most proud of is getting an internship with Viola Davis. I learned so much from interning at JuVee and made so many wonderful connections. I’m so grateful to my family at JuVee and can’t wait to reunite with them one day.

What inspired you to create The Struggle is Reel?

The Struggle Is Reel is about the trials and tribulations of the average film student trying to break into the industry. I was inspired to create it because I truly wanted to network and get to know my fellow students. I also wanted to create a sense of community and let the other students know that they are NOT alone in their struggles! Another reason why I created it is because I couldn’t find a podcast that was geared towards film students. There were so many about the film industry and entertainment but none of them focused on or highlighted student life. I saw I gap in the market and I wanted to be the one to fill that gap.

Where do you see your career in Film and The Struggle is Reel going?

I see myself becoming a TV Showrunner and Writer. I love the fast pace of television and telling stories with season arcs. As for the Struggle Is Reel, I’m currently in the works of getting it made into an entertainment variety talk show. I guess you can add talk show host to the list of where I see my career heading.

Where do you see yourself after graduating from SCAD?

I have no idea! I’m debating right now whether or not I want to move to Los Angeles or stay in Atlanta. Right now, I’m just focused on seizing any and every opportunity I can find. 

If it’s one thing you could be remembered for, what would it be?

I want to be remembered for being a good and kind-hearted human being.

Mahalia, you’re definitely going to be remembered for being good and kind-hearted because you’ve been that way to me and so much more. She has accomplished so much in a short amount of time and continues to be someone I admire. Mahalia is definitely a Black girl who rocks!

To stay updated with Mahalia’s journey, follow her on Instagram @im.mahalia and @struggleisreel. Download The Struggle Is Reel Podcast on Apple.

Dominique is a 2018 graduate of SCAD Atlanta, where she received her MFA in Writing, and a chapter advisor for Her Campus. She hails from Greensboro, NC and is a proud HBCU grad from the illustrious Winston-Salem State University. When Dominique is not writing, she teaches it. She is all about writers being their authentic selves, even if it makes other people uncomfortable.
Mariana Rodriguez is in her Junior year at SCAD pursuing a B.F.A. in Fashion Design. Mariana was the Marketing Director a chapter before taking the role as Co-Campus Correspondent. She loves traveling, sushi, and fashion.