Black Girls Who Rock at SCAD Atlanta: Meet Devin Ki’Elle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Entering my second year of graduate school was by far one of the scariest times of my life. Not because of class or anything but due to the fact that I didn’t have many friends in Atlanta. I was scared I’d spend my last year in the city feeling alone and I wouldn’t have any memories to hold on to once I graduated. But the moment I met Devin Ki’Elle the first day of Fall Quarter 2017, I knew all my fears about being alone and not making friends would cease to exist.

When Devin introduced herself in our Freelance Writing class, I knew right away she was someone I wanted to know and be a part of my Black Girl Creative Tribe. She spoke with a confidence I had never heard before and was so sure of herself and her worth. Devin also had looks for days and always had her hair laid, face beat, and was the best dressed person in the room. In many ways, Devin reminded me of myself and the person I want to be. She exemplifies Black Girl Magic from the she carries herself to the way she consistently chases after opportunities.

28-year-old Film and Television Graduate Student, Devin Ki’Elle, is a writer and beauty disruptor. As a leader in the fight for diversity and inclusion within the beauty industry, Devin has been featured in Teen Vogue, Glamour, Essence, Refinery29, Popsugar, Allure, and more for the creation of Glossier Brown (@glossierbrown), an outlet created to celebrate people of color. Her blog devinkielle.com, is a culmination of all things purposeful, stylish, fearless, and REAL. When she’s not taking the beauty industry by storm with her innovative ways to include people of color, she writes amazing, hilarious scripts and runs her own skincare line called Deon Libra.

I sat down with Devin and had an intimate conversation with her about her career in Film and Television, love for all things beauty, and her inspiration for the creation of Glossier Brown and her skincare line Deon Libra. 

What do you like to write about? Do you prefer screenwriting, memoir, or media writing?

Honestly, whatever is on my heart or whatever I am currently obsessing over. I tend to write screenplays when I need a really good laugh, as I only write comedy.

When did you first become interested in beauty/skin care?

I was raised to “show up and show out.” It doesn’t matter how you feel, you still show up and look your best at all times. That mindset led me fall in love with beauty at a really young age. But as I got older, I really came to understand that you can’t look your best if you’re not taking care of yourself. Of course, you can slap on a pound of makeup and call it your face… but what about your beautiful skin underneath?

I openly struggle with anxiety, so self-care has become my safe haven. I take pride in my super extra 8-step skincare routine, but sometimes something as simple as masking can fix an entire day. Indulging in my favorite beauty rituals calms my soul. It shifts my energy and the energy within my space in such a positive direction. Those little pick-me-ups are needed now more than ever. So, beauty and skincare are more for the internal benefits for me than the external. They make me feel good; the glow is just a plus!

What inspired you to create Glossier Brown?

Once I became a Glossier rep, I started receiving DMs daily for product suggestions and color matches. It was amazing to see all of these women of color interested in a brand that I adore so much, but I needed a better way to field their questions, manage the load, and show women of all complexions using Glossier products. That’s how Glossier Brown was born!

What inspired you to create Deon Libra?

My Daddie passed away on February 17, 2018. Deon was his middle name and Libra was his zodiac sign. He genuinely was the life of every party! Every person he ever came in contact with walked away a better human being; glowing. I like to call it the “Joe Glow”.

With his gentle heart, gorgeous smile, and infectious laugh, Daddie truly glowed from the inside out. Deon Libra was created in his honor, in hopes that I could give other human beings even half the glow, love, and joy Daddie so selflessly gave all of us. As his only daughter, he never failed to tell me how brilliant, beautiful, and worthy I am. And, my only goal is to forever make other people feel that special, too.

What is the process like when making Deon Libra from scratch?

Every Deon Libra product is all natural and handmade. It’s literally just me, my kitchen, and occasionally the help of my fiancé. Making skincare products is an entire hustle in itself.

Where do you see Deon Libra going?

Deon Libra is currently on a hiatus. As the literal only employee, it’s been such a struggle to balance the company, grad school, my blog (devinkielle.com), and my influencer life. I had to be honest with myself and acknowledge the fact that I don’t have the bandwidth to take the brand to the next level, at the moment. Don’t worry, though! We’ll be back!

Where do you see yourself after graduating from SCAD?

Running a beauty empire.

If it’s one thing you could be remembered for, what would it be?

Being relentless. When my life is over, I want people to look back and remember that I never gave up. Not on my dreams. Not on my career. Not on my mental health. Not on love. Not on my body. Literally on not a single thing. Because until I take my last breath, I will never, ever give up! I owe no one but myself.

Devin, you’re definitely going to be remembered for being relentless and taking control of your life and destiny. You’re inspiration not only to me but to many other Black girls. You’re not just my friend, you’re my sister.

Devin Ki’Elle isn’t letting up anytime soon. She’s taking the beauty industry by storm. I have no doubt in my mind she won’t be running a beauty empire in the next few years. Her dedication, poise, and confidence are some of the reasons Devin is a Black girl who rocks!

To stay updated with Devin’s journey, follow her on Instagram @devinkielle and @glossierbrown. Subscribe to her blog at www.devinkielle.com.

Dominique is a 2018 graduate of SCAD Atlanta, where she received her MFA in Writing, and a chapter advisor for Her Campus. She hails from Greensboro, NC and is a proud HBCU grad from the illustrious Winston-Salem State University. When Dominique is not writing, she teaches it. She is all about writers being their authentic selves, even if it makes other people uncomfortable.
Mariana Rodriguez is in her Junior year at SCAD pursuing a B.F.A. in Fashion Design. Mariana was the Marketing Director a chapter before taking the role as Co-Campus Correspondent. She loves traveling, sushi, and fashion.