Black Girls Who Rock at SCAD Atlanta: Meet Charisma Lowe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

You ever met someone and instantly know they’re destined for greatness? For me, the moment I met Charisma Lowe, I knew she was someone I wanted to be a part of my “Black Girl Creative Tribe.” She oozed confidence and spoke so eloquently. When she said she was also a fellow HBCU graduate during our first class together, I was sold.

As I got to know Charisma, a Writing graduate student at SCAD Atlanta, I discovered that she wasn’t only just a great writer but was also an amazing digital content creator. She introduced me to her blog The C. Files, which is a fashion, beauty, & lifestyle creative hub for Millennials and right away, I enjoyed reading her content and understanding her perspective on various topics. Her blog, YouTube channel, as well as her expertise in social media management, graphic design, brand consulting, and marketing is some of the reasons the 23-year-old content curator and New York native should be on your radar.

Charisma and I had an intimate conversation about her writing and her brand, The C. Files:

When did you first become interested in blogging?

Blogging first sparked my interest my freshmen year at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University. I’ve always loved putting together looks for as long as I could remember, so that was no different when I got to college. I had the privilege of joining CAU’s image society, Emergence 2 Serve. They were one of the biggest reasons I wanted to start blogging because they pushed me to always deliver consecutive looks.

What do you like to write about? Do you prefer memoir or media writing?

Recently, I discovered that I actually like writing memoir. While media writing is what I do the most, my true love is writing about my own personal accounts. I have enough samples to actually publish a memoir— which I intend to do one day.

What inspired you to create The C. Files?

I was inspired to start The C. Files because I am an avid bargain shopper. Initially, I only started it to share where I got really good deals from. Overtime, it grew into the creative hub for millennials that it is today.

Why did you decide to create a YouTube channel for your website?

I decided to create a YouTube channel for my website because I used to do a daily feature on my Snapchat called Rants with Ris. I would talk about whatever came to mind that day in my car. It became so popular amongst my friends that whenever I didn’t post one, they’d ask when the next one was coming. Considering I have a natural love for storytelling, it only seemed appropriate.

Where do you see The C. Files going?

It is my ultimate goal to have the biggest multimedia creative hub for millennials. I want to create opportunities for people that love fashion, beauty, and live similar lifestyles to me. In this next year, I have a lot planned for The C. Files. The first thing on my list is expanding the team.

Where do you see yourself after graduating from SCAD?

After graduating from SCAD, I see myself living in either LA or taking my talents back to NYC. Career wise, I’d love to work as a copywriter for big household name or an editor for a major magazine publication.

If it’s one thing you could be remembered for, what would it be?

I would love to be remembered for being unapologetically me. My followers already know me to be genuine in everything I do, so I want it to stay that way.

A quote that Charisma lives by is something I heard her say one day in class.

“Life isn’t about following the wave, it’s about creating your own.”

Charisma’s wit, sassiness, and expressive spirit as well as love for writing and content creation are some of the many reasons she’s a Black girl who rocks.

To stay updated with Charisma’s journey, follow her on Instagram @themelaninarie and @thec.files. Subscribe to her YouTube channel as well.

Dominique is a 2018 graduate of SCAD Atlanta, where she received her MFA in Writing, and a chapter advisor for Her Campus. She hails from Greensboro, NC and is a proud HBCU grad from the illustrious Winston-Salem State University. When Dominique is not writing, she teaches it. She is all about writers being their authentic selves, even if it makes other people uncomfortable.
Mariana Rodriguez is in her Junior year at SCAD pursuing a B.F.A. in Fashion Design. Mariana was the Marketing Director a chapter before taking the role as Co-Campus Correspondent. She loves traveling, sushi, and fashion.