Black Girls Who Rock at SCAD Atlanta: Meet Angelica George

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

One of the most rewarding feelings as a Black woman in the creative arts field is to be around other Black women who specialize in the same areas. When Black women get together and invent something, we create magic. I’ve had the wonderful opportunity of meeting some of the greatest, most resilient and dedicated Black women while at SCAD. These women have continuously pushed boundaries and generated their own success by doing things that haven’t been done. One of the women who is a part of my “Black Girl Creative Tribe” is Angelica George.

I met Angelica during Winter quarter of 2018. She and I took a Screenwriting class together. During the time we had class, Angelica consistently came up with great ideas for scripts – scripts that were funny but also evoked healthy conversation. I wasn’t just impressed by her wit and ability to write great scripts, I was also impressed by how great she was as a producer. Watching her unfold behind the camera was mesmerizing. Even when it was time for me to be behind the camera and lead a set for one of my short films, she helped me every step of the way and showed me exactly why she is the bomb.com.

24-year-old Film and Television grad student at SCAD Atlanta, Angelica M. George, was born and raised in Milwaukee, WI. “Northsideeeeeeeee” is what she reps. After graduating from high school, she decided to further her education by attending Clark Atlanta University where she majored in Mass Media Arts: Radio/Television and Film. While at CAU she became a radio personality for a show called the Hip-Hop Breakdown with her co-host Ashley “Ashcash” House. During her college experiences she interned and worked with so many different companies and individuals. In 2015, she traveled to Los Angeles and worked on her first feature film Do You Take This Man as a Production Assistant. While in LA she also worked for the BET Awards through Jesse Collin’s Entertainment.

After graduating from CAU in 2017, she worked on the inaugural season of MTV’s Teen Mom: Young and Pregnant as well American Idol as they began their journey with ABC, before enrolling into SCAD to obtain her Master of Fine Arts in Film and Television.

I sat down with Angelica and had an intimate conversation with her about her career and passion for Film and her new digital series Creative Corner.

When did you first become interested in Film?

I can’t ever remember not being interested in film. My mama always made me watch Sound of Music and Titanic – classics that have had longevity. I wanted to have an impact like that on anything I did while also seeing individuals that looked like me on television as well in theaters. The best way for me to do that was to be a part of the solution and create the content I wanted to see. Me wanting to be a part of filmmaking is to show people that look like me – a Black Girl with 4C hair living it and loving it – can be on the screen. I also wanted to talk about the stories that are untold. Whether it’s through documentaries, television series or features.

What inspired you to create the series Creative Corner?

I’m a creative and I love creatives. We are overlooked, underpaid, and commonly ripped off. That’s why I created the series Creative Corner, to give us a platform. I wanted to showcase content creators – whether it’s photography, drawing, painting or whatever else. I wanted the world to feel and understand what it means to be a creative and the feelings and emotions we experience. As a creative you can’t be boxed in and it’s no right or wrong way to do something but there’s things that are better received than others. Being a creative can be physically and emotionally draining. We can be criticized at a drop of a hat. There’s no way to predict what will be a hit or miss in the creative world. Creative Corner is a series to help people understand creatives and what they go through mentally as well as the business side.

Where do you see your career in Film and Creative Corner going?

I want to win an NAACP Image award. I want to be able to say I’ve produced and directed at least three thought provoking documentaries, that I’ve had a quality television show on a network, and that I had a feature film that broke the box office. Of course, I want my own production company and network. I want to be impactful and break barriers. People like Robert Townsend and Master P have inspired me. They self-financed their movies and projects. They did anything possible to make their projects happen. That’s the kind of mentality I strive to have every day. I would love for Creative Corner to get picked up on a digital platform like Complex or BET Digital Networks.

What do you like to write about? Do you prefer comedy, drama, or action?

I love to write about reality. I’ve been venturing further into documentary stories. Documentaries excite me because I’m able to educate others on overlooked topics. As a screenwriter, a producer, and a director, I end up writing a lot of scripts that are dramas with a splash of humor in them. I really want to challenge myself and write an action film because I love to watch action on screen.

What are some other areas of interest that you would like to pursue?

Some other areas I want to explore in Film and Television is to create documentaries that are thought provoking. Also, I want to be able to create a scripted series that makes us think, laugh, and cry like 90’s sitcoms did. Other career endeavors is music. I call myself a music connoisseur.  I’m always looking for new music, new artists; I know for a fact I have a good ear for it. I currently manage an artist that goes by E. Maejor, an R&B singer. It’s been an interesting journey. We’re both learning as we go that this industry isn’t easy. I also started writing a book about two years ago. It’s a highly emotional book about friendship. The goal is to get a first draft done this year, so fingers crossed that happens.  

Where do you see yourself after graduating from SCAD?

I know what I want to do. Do I know what’s going to happen? No. I’m extremely scared and nervous gearing up for graduation. Although I’m a risk taker, I’m still nervous. I know God has greater plans for me than what I can imagine. But if I could predict the future, after graduation I see myself working for a production company on the creative side developing creative concepts as a project manager or producer depending on the company. Networks that I feel that align with my goals are CW, Revolt TV, Fuse, Complex, and BET Digital Networks. I honestly love to work with any production company that can align with the content that I love. I want to tell stories about music and creatives. I want to tell stories that are deemed “black stories” though their really universal stories. I’d love to move to LA and not just because of the weather but for a new scenery, but I’ll go wherever my passion leads me.

If it’s one thing you could be remembered for, what would it be?

It’s a lot of things I want to be remembered for, one being a great empowering woman. I also want to be remembered for being a filmmaker that left an impact and made people think with each piece of content she touched.

A quote Angelica lives by and loves drives her to push the envelope every day comes from Marianne Williamson.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world.”

Angelica’s hard work, diligence, and cleverness as well as her love for Film and Television and telling stories that haven’t been told are some of the reasons why she’s a Black girl who rocks.

To stay updated with Angelica’s journey, follow her on Instagram @angelicamarie24g

Dominique is a 2018 graduate of SCAD Atlanta, where she received her MFA in Writing, and a chapter advisor for Her Campus. She hails from Greensboro, NC and is a proud HBCU grad from the illustrious Winston-Salem State University. When Dominique is not writing, she teaches it. She is all about writers being their authentic selves, even if it makes other people uncomfortable.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World