5 Tips on Surviving Foundations Classes in Art School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

What’s a typical class day for you? For SCAD students, we can have two to seven hours of classes every few days! In addition, many of us have to spend every waking moment out of class working on projects for that class. So what are some ways to survive some of those tougher foundations classes like 3D Design, Color Theory, Survey of Computer Art and Life Drawing while still having a social life and/or time for yourself?

1. Set up a bedtime on school nights and plan your night around it.

Illustration courtesy of Kara Robson.

This applies to all classes! If you have an 8 a.m. class and plan to get up around 6:30-7:00 a.m., don’t wait until midnight to start winding down. Plan on an hour, such as 12 a.m., to sleep, then revolve your night schedule around it. That means around 10/11 p.m., stop snacking or it’ll give you a case of insomnia! Around 11 p.m. put your homework aside and begin your night routine before you fall sleep, whether it be browsing through social media or destress doodling.

2. Manage your schedule with a calendar.

Photo courtesy of Kara Robson.

Calendars on your phone work for some people, but I find that a physical in-your-face calendar is the best way to keep yourself updated. Make sure to utilize your calendar wisely—right down to project due dates, school events, TV premieres, birthdays—whatever you don’t want to forget—and pin it to your wall above your work space so that you can glance at it from time to time. Using plain paper or sticky notes is fine! Cross out days that have passed like a countdown to winter break, make sure to circle due dates, and don’t forget to notarize Halloween with a pumpkin!

3. Keep your different classes organized.

Illustration courtesy of Kara Robson.

Keep all of your drawing materials on one side of your room, and your actual projects on the other. For example, if you have a sketchbook for Drawing 1 and Life Drawing, make sure to keep them separate from each other! Do what you can to differentiate! Nothing sucks more than bringing the wrong sketchbook to class when it’s due for midterm review.

4. Stay on top of your assignments!

Illustration courtesy of Kara Robson.

The best way to do this is to get rid of 50 percent of the assignment the day/weekend that its assigned, that way the night before its due you’re not scrambling to get it finished. Make sure you utilize your weekends with an attack plan. The best time to work is between lunch and dinner, that way if you stick to 5-6 hours of work, the rest of the night can be free for fun things!

5. Make friends with your classmates!

Illustration courtesy of Kara Robson.

This one may seem obvious, but it is especially essential in art school to befriend a few people outside of your major. They may or may not stick to your circle as you progress through the years, but it’s always beneficial to have extra people to comment on your new work or shed light on what others in your major are too fine-tuned to see. It may be hard to keep in touch in person with all of us working hard, so don’t be shy to add/follow them on social media! Support from the sidelines means all the world to artists!

I am an animation major, a creative writer, and a webcomic artist for Tapastic. My hobbies include watching 2-D and 3-D cartoons, writing, drawing, animating, and some other things if I had more time!