Wellness

To: Alexis, From: Me (A Valentine’s Guide)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Let me just say that I have never had a “valentine”. In elementary school, of course, I received the little store-bought ones or if I was really lucky, a handwritten one. Beyond that, though, I have always been single for Valentine’s Day.

In high school, the holiday was always one where my friends’ partners would gift them giant teddy bears and candies that they’d soon forget about. I often felt alone on this day early in high school, especially when I was the only one in my friend group who wasn’t dating anyone.

However, during my senior year of high school, I found myself embracing my single status. I found myself looking to do more for me.

In the past year, I’ve learned a lot about the things that I can do to make myself more joyful. I have found my bliss, as fellow HC-writer Claire Fisher would say.

I have found myself embracing all of my love languages (which are pretty equally spread among all five languages).

Buying myself flowers

I bought myself this female form vase from Urban Outfitters* in my junior year of high school. This was when I found myself loving flowers. I brought the vase to college with me, and it’s remained empty for a few weeks since I returned from break.

I absolutely love changing out the flowers, and at one point I would buy new flowers every other week. Having a fresh flowers just elevates the room’s personality. My (very under-decorated) dorm room feels infinitely better with just the addition of fresh flowers.

*This specific vase is unfortunately sold out, but you can definitely find similar ones elsewhere.

Going on a run

I have somewhat of a love-hate relationship with running. However, a short run that always turns into a much longer one always helps me clear my mind.

When I began running in middle school, I never listened to music. Admittedly, I did run on the sides of streets, so this was likely the safest option.

Now that I can run indoors or on a trail where traffic isn’t an issue, I love to blast my running playlist. It has everything from Megan Thee Stallion to Pitbull to Doja Cat. This is my time to be in my own zone.

Running by myself always reminds me of how wildly capable I am. I don’t need anyone to set the pace because I am in control.

Spending time with friends

I have found myself adoring my friend group in college. I spend many hours of my day with people who truly bring me joy. This is also a self-care activity for me because I get to choose who to surround myself with.

When I spend time with friends, I can express myself and even learn more about myself. I have folks that boost me up when I’m down and allow me to feel my emotions wholeheartedly.

I don’t need a partner to fulfill this part of me that desires quality time when I have such deep friendships. It has taken me until this school year to learn that true quality time feels good and fills up my cup.

Buying myself a little treat

Boy, do I love a little treat! Whether it’s making myself a matcha latte, making my favorite protein pancakes or just eating a Hershey kiss or two.

This year, I plan to buy myself some dark chocolate and a strawberry acai refresher from the campus Starbucks. These little gestures that I can do for myself can really brighten up my day.

Reading a cutesy book or a rom-com movies

I love reading cute romances or watching a light-hearted movies. I recently started reading The Love Wager by Lynn Painter and, so far, it’s very cheesy and cute. I also started watching “Pretty Woman”, which I surprisingly have never seen. A few years back, I saw the musical and immediately fell in love with the story.

If you’re looking for a cute romance, I’d recommend Better than the Movies by Lynn Painter or Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston.

Writing myself love letters

This is somewhat of a newer practice for me, but since I have always loved writing, giving myself love letters always feels empowering. I encourage you to write about the qualities that you love most about yourself or practices that fill up your cup.

Don’t forget to show yourself some love this Valentine’s Day!

Alexis Serio is a new writer for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. She plans to write pieces surrounding topics of feminism, entertainment, and campus life. Alexis is a freshman studying Communication, Social Justice, and Advocacy. Beyond Her Campus, Alexis spends her time studying with friends and getting involved in the many clubs SBU has to offer. In her free time, you can find Alexis reading, watching Modern Family, or making her friends laugh when it's "Alexis Time". She is also a lover of almost any type of music, as long as she can sing along with it.