Life > Experiences

The Most Valuable Life Lessons I Have Learned So Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I have been alive for almost 19 years, which adds up to 7,000 days. That’s 18 orbits around the sun and plenty of time to learn a lot about the world around me. Throughout my life, I have learned what it means to be a strong, independent, and confident woman who cares deeply about others, but it has taken many experiences to get to where I am now. Here is a collection of the most important advice I can give.

There Is More to Life Than School, but School Should Always Come First.

This should be a given, especially in your college years, but reiterating it is important. Yes, there is more to life than homework, studying, and classes, but nothing, not even friends, should come between you and your work. College is expensive, especially at private institutions, and getting poor grades or skipping classes is a waste of money. Taking a break from school is okay, so, if that will help you refocus on priorities, then do what you have to do to succeed. Finding a good balance between work and play early in your college career is vital, and surrounding yourself with people with the same priorities as you can be extraordinarily helpful with this.

Listen to the Boy/Girl Advice Your Friends Give You.

It takes not being listened to by a friend to sear this into your head. Trust me when I say your friends are always right about boy or girl problems. Remind yourself that they are not involved in the situation; they have a clearer view of it. It can be challenging but take the advice they give you and thank them for it. 

Confidence Runs the World.

How many people have gotten absolutely incredible things done just because they had the confidence to speak up during a meeting or focus group? If you have an idea, a solution, or a thought, then raise your hand and say it. What is the worst that could happen? I am so lucky that I learned this lesson very early, and I owe it all to the all-girls education I received. Not only does it make you look smart, but class participation can save your grade. I cannot stress enough how important it is to speak up and say your piece.

Stop Being So Sensitive.

This lesson is so important, especially in this day and age. Maybe “canceling” or “calling out” people for simple misunderstandings or mistakes works when you’re young, but the real world doesn’t stop every second when someone says something they shouldn’t. Of course, I am not encouraging problematic behavior and downright offensiveness. I am, however, reminding you of how important it is to be able to shake something off and just move on.

Learn How to Be Independent.

My parents taught me early on how important it was to be my own person and be okay with being alone. This is really important to learn in college, too. It is okay to not be surrounded by people 24/7, and you must know how to be your own person before leaving college.

Add Something to the Lives of Others.

This point came up recently in a conversation with a friend. She told me she does not value friendships with people who are just there. They are present, but they do not bring anything to the table. Be active in your friendships and relationships and put in the effort. Be there when it’s hard, and when it’s easy. Make your friends laugh and smile. Participate in the lives of others, and they’ll bring joy to your life.

Mary Quinn, known as MQ to most, is the events planner for the St. Bonaventure University chapter of Her Campus. She is responsible for planning, coordinating, and executing all events for the chapter, as well as publishing articles weekly. Mary Quinn is currently a second-year student studying English with a passion for philosophy. Aside from Her Campus, Mary Quinn has previously written for PolitiFact NY, a media organization dedicated to publishing the whole truth, as a political reporter. Mary Quinn is involved with SBU College Democrats, serves as the membership chair of the Student Government Association (SGA), is co-president of Break the Bubble, a campus service organization, and an ambassador for St. Bonaventure University's Freshman Leadership Program. In her time away from academics, Mary Quinn loves spend time with friends, shop for new skincare and makeup, listen to music, and read. Mary Quinn absolutely adores her two dogs, Joey and Murphy, and likes to spend her free time helping out at the local SPCA. She believes there is no crisis that cannot be solved by a good hike or walk. Mary Quinn's favorite conversation starter is that she won Camp Gossip and Best Tan at the summer camp she worked at. There is nothing Mary Quinn loves more than Ethel Cain's music and the Allegany River Trail. Mary Quinn is currently a second-year student studying English with a passion for philosophy. Aside from Her Campus, Mary Quinn has previously written for PolitiFact NY, a media organization dedicated to publishing the whole truth, as a political reporter. Mary Quinn is involved with SBU College Democrats, is co-president of Break the Bubble, a campus service organization, and an ambassador for St. Bonaventure University's Freshman Leadership Program. In her time away from academics, Mary Quinn loves spend time with friends, shop for new skincare and makeup, listen to music, and read. Mary Quinn absolutely adores her two dogs, Joey and Murphy, and likes to spend her free time helping out at the local SPCA. She believes there is no crisis that cannot be solved by a good hike or walk. Mary Quinn's favorite conversation starter is that she won Camp Gossip and Best Tan at the summer camp she worked at. There is nothing Mary Quinn loves more than Ethel Cain's music and the Allegany River Trail.