The Relief of Finally Choosing a Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

At the ripe age of 18, who actually knows what they want to do with the rest of their lives. I know I didn’t and that is precisely why I came into my freshman year of college as an undeclared major. The idea of exploring different options is exciting yet daunting. Sometimes you really think you finally figured it out and other times you contemplate dropping out all together — extreme but plausible at times. Once I finally chose a major at the end of my freshman year (hooray!) an immense amount of weight was lifted off my shoulders. If you’re in the same undeclared boat as I was a short while ago, don’t worry — there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I’m here to share a few of those lights.

1) You finally have a response when people ask, “What’s your major?”

This was always my least favorite question. For some reason I felt like there was a negative connotation with saying “I’m undeclared.” I felt as though it made me sound lazy or uninterested when, in fact, it was the total opposite. The relief in being able to say what your major is without having to explain what possible pathways you might pursue feels glorious.

2) You sound like you have your life together.

I have absolutely no idea if the major I chose is something I’m going to stick with. Do any of us really know? Something like 75% of college students change their major at least once in their four years. But at least at this very moment I have my life together … or at least I sound like I do.

3) You can finally make friends in your major

All of my friends here have their “accounting friends” or “bio friends” or “marketing friends.”  Being undeclared, you don’t have the same people in all of your classes that you can become fast friends with because your classes are all over the spectrum. I’m so excited to finally find my “major” friends.

4) You get an advisor who actually “gets you”

Don’t get me wrong — my undeclared advisor was wonderful, but it’s a great feeling when your academic advisor understands what you love to do and can give you advice and assistance in the field that you have come to love.

5) You’re actually excited to look at your 4 year plan

For the first time you have a complete agenda of the courses you need to take and approximately when you should be taking them. I think undeclared majors are some of the only people who get a weird exhilaration out of looking at their degree audits and finally seeing what the rest of their time will look like.

6) You’re finally learning things that you enjoy

Creating a schedule as an undeclared major is just a process of taking chances on a variety of different courses from different concentrations in the hopes that it’s something you might enjoy just a little bit. Having a course load full of classes that I know will be interesting is one of the biggest stress relievers going into a new semester.

7) You’ve finally found your academic home on campus

I’ve always known that Bonaventure was my home. I never doubted that I made the right choice when I picked this school. I have already made friends and memories that will last a lifetime. But only one thing was missing, and that was my academic home. I finally found that and I couldn’t be happier or more relieved to get started doing something I love. 

Hi! I am currently a freshman undeclared major at St. Bonaventure University. I thought that Her Campus would be a great way to express my creative side and my passion for fashion and beauty. 
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.