This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Kin Euphorics is a women-founded and non-alcoholic beverage brand that has been receiving major influencer attention this year. Kin Euphorics was founded by Jen Batchelor and Bella Hadid in 2017 and is a beverage line designed to “help tune your mood and activate the power, energy, and peace that is already in you.”

Kin can bring more consciousness, more nourishment to the social rituals of the Western world.

Kin Euphorics

The brand’s aesthetic advertising and Bella Hadid’s involvement piqued my interest, so after some research, I decided to purchase a case of Kin Euphorics Lightwave.

Kin Euphorics offers a wide range of drinks with varying effects. Actual Sunshine promises to help you “rise and glow from within.” Kin Spritz promotes “social energy.” Kin Bloom will “unlock heart-opening joy any time of day.” High Rhode will bring “social magic” to any gathering. Dream Light will “help you reach a natural circadian rhythm for deeper, more restful sleep.”

Out of these intriguing options, I chose Lightwave. My life has been pretty tumultuous lately and between social commitments, schoolwork and club obligations, I’ve been craving some peace. I also took the quiz on their website, which directed me to Lightwave, saying “you’re ready to transcend stress and open a portal to peace.” Unfortunately, their website has no beverages in stock, but I was able to purchase Lightwave on Amazon.

The Kin Euphorics website promises “inner peace” for Lightwave consumers. On the site, the taste is described as “sparkling notes of lavender-vanilla, smoked sea salt and passionflower,” so I was very excited to try it. Lightwave has zero caffeine, CBD, or alcohol, so it is perfect for the sober-curious, California sober, or sober consumer. What it does have, however, is various adaptogens, nootropics, and reishi mushrooms.

Lightwave is my dinner party, candle light, lo fi vibe. It’s smoky, sexy and chill.

Devon M.- Kin Euphorics

I had no idea what any of that meant, so I had to do some more research. Adaptogens are ingredients in fungi and plants that help strengthen the body’s reaction to stress and anxiety. Nootropics, when taken in an appropriate sense, can sharpen mental focus, improve memory, enhance learning, and boost creativity. Reishi mushroom, also called the “mushroom of immortality,” supposedly boosts the immune system, increases strength and lowers cholesterol.

I was beyond excited to try Lightwave. It comes in a beautiful purple, pink, and blue box detailed with information about the drink. The cans themselves are eight fluid ounces and feature the brand name and the same coloring as the box.

Earlier this week, I cracked open a can of Lightwave from my fridge and took a sip. 

I regret buying them more than I can express with words.

It tasted like slightly carbonated, salty, rotted ginger. It was genuinely the worst thing I have ever tasted in my life. Whatever I did taste was certainly not vanilla and lavender. I wouldn’t even rate it a one out of ten. 

I will give them credit for the effects, though. A couple of minutes after finishing the can, I felt the calmness and sense of peace they advertise. Was it worth it for the horrible taste? Not at all.

I am incredibly disappointed in my experience with Kin Euphorics, especially considering the steep prices they charge even just for four cans. If you want to be disgusted beyond reason, by all means, purchase from this brand, but I recommend staying away.

Mary Quinn, known as MQ to most, is the events planner for the St. Bonaventure University chapter of Her Campus. She is responsible for planning, coordinating, and executing all events for the chapter, as well as publishing articles weekly. Mary Quinn is currently a second-year student studying English with a passion for philosophy. Aside from Her Campus, Mary Quinn has previously written for PolitiFact NY, a media organization dedicated to publishing the whole truth, as a political reporter. Mary Quinn is involved with SBU College Democrats, serves as the membership chair of the Student Government Association (SGA), is co-president of Break the Bubble, a campus service organization, and an ambassador for St. Bonaventure University's Freshman Leadership Program. In her time away from academics, Mary Quinn loves spend time with friends, shop for new skincare and makeup, listen to music, and read. Mary Quinn absolutely adores her two dogs, Joey and Murphy, and likes to spend her free time helping out at the local SPCA. She believes there is no crisis that cannot be solved by a good hike or walk. Mary Quinn's favorite conversation starter is that she won Camp Gossip and Best Tan at the summer camp she worked at. There is nothing Mary Quinn loves more than Ethel Cain's music and the Allegany River Trail. Mary Quinn is currently a second-year student studying English with a passion for philosophy. Aside from Her Campus, Mary Quinn has previously written for PolitiFact NY, a media organization dedicated to publishing the whole truth, as a political reporter. Mary Quinn is involved with SBU College Democrats, is co-president of Break the Bubble, a campus service organization, and an ambassador for St. Bonaventure University's Freshman Leadership Program. In her time away from academics, Mary Quinn loves spend time with friends, shop for new skincare and makeup, listen to music, and read. Mary Quinn absolutely adores her two dogs, Joey and Murphy, and likes to spend her free time helping out at the local SPCA. She believes there is no crisis that cannot be solved by a good hike or walk. Mary Quinn's favorite conversation starter is that she won Camp Gossip and Best Tan at the summer camp she worked at. There is nothing Mary Quinn loves more than Ethel Cain's music and the Allegany River Trail.