summer girl hawaii yoga hiking exercise view high res version
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I was going through my Snapchat memories from a few years ago and, to spare you a detailed account of what I found, yikes.

I knew that I had changed a lot, especially since leaving high school, and while they’re incredibly cringey, I’m glad I have memories of what I was like then.

Since coming to college, I have established previously unwritten rules to live by, so for the first time, here is the inside scoop on how I live my life.

1. How you look does matter.

Influencers will tell you that dressing lazily and not looking presentable is acceptable and even relatable, but I promise you, it’s not.

People, especially professors and employers, respect people who put effort into themselves. If that means not wearing leggings and sweatpants daily, so be it.

Am I bashing leggings or sweatpants? Not at all! There is a way to wear leggings and sweatpants in a way that looks presentable, and it’s not with a janky old shirt! Sorry, not sorry. Save gross clothes for the gym!

Establish a daily routine and include planning outfits in it.

2. Being confident will set you apart.

Confidence unlocks so many doors in general, but also academically and professionally.

It can be tough sometimes to love yourself, especially when someone is telling you otherwise everywhere you turn, but it is crucial to fake it until you make it.

If you believe in yourself and are confident in how you look and think, others will also believe in you.

3. Skincare=K.i.s.s.!

Warning: I have never had cystic acne or horrible acne. No one in my nuclear family has ever had bad acne. I have combination skin and occasional breakouts of hormonal acne.

If you have relatively good skin and continuously break out, it’s because you’re doing too much. I promise your skin does not need seventy serums, fifty sprays, eighty moisturizers, or whatever someone influences you to buy.

Find a good weekly mask, two cleansers, a makeup remover, a sunscreen, and a moisturizer.

I use The Ordinary Peeling Solution, CeraVe Acne Control Cleanser, DHC Deep Cleansing Oil, Garnier Micellar Water, BARE Republic Sunscreen, and CeraVe SA Lotion for Rough and Bumpy Skin.

When it comes to your skin, keep it simple, stupid!

4. a good handshake is everything.

I cannot even begin to explain how annoying and rude it is to have a bad handshake.

While it became a lost art during the worst of the COVID-19 pandemic, like it or not, it is still an essential and simple skill to have.

You should look someone in the eye while shaking their hand and shake it firmly and confidently.

5. GIVE!

Giving back is so important.

If you are fortunate in life, remember that many are not. Understanding that others do not have the same privileges as you is an incredibly mature thought process to have and an essential one.

Not only is giving back selflessly fulfilling, but it also makes your community a better place.

6. find a hobby that is not media consumption.

After @GlamDemon2004’s viral video, I was inspired to find hobbies that were not media consumption (and learn how to spell ‘pharaoh’).

Since then, I have been into running, yoga, pottery, baking, and writing.

In a modern world where hobbies are near obsolete, it’s important to fall in love with something that isn’t scrolling.

7. Spray tans when? Never.

The last time I got a spray tan was my senior year of high school before our mid-year winter prom, Holly Ball. I got it three days before, and it looked amazing.

I will NEVER get a spray tan again.

Spray tans smell horrible (yes, everyone can smell it), and if you get darker than a level-one clear at Zoom Tan, it will look terrible and orange.

I recommend either going cold turkey and not tanning at all or using tinted body oil.

8. when Makeup looks good, stop touching it.

When my best friend gets ready to go out before we leave, she always asks me, “What should I add?” and I always say the same thing.

“Stop touching your face.”

Once you think you look good, you should stop adding anything. It’s always better to have less makeup than more.

9. capsule wardrobes=adulthood.

Reality check: you aren’t going to dress goth at a corporate job.

No, not everything you own needs to come from Chanel or Theory, but investing in high-quality basics, high-quality denim and nicer clothes makes you look professional and put-together.

Mary Quinn, known as MQ to most, is the events planner for the St. Bonaventure University chapter of Her Campus. She is responsible for planning, coordinating, and executing all events for the chapter, as well as publishing articles weekly. Mary Quinn is currently a second-year student studying English with a passion for philosophy. Aside from Her Campus, Mary Quinn has previously written for PolitiFact NY, a media organization dedicated to publishing the whole truth, as a political reporter. Mary Quinn is involved with SBU College Democrats, serves as the membership chair of the Student Government Association (SGA), is co-president of Break the Bubble, a campus service organization, and an ambassador for St. Bonaventure University's Freshman Leadership Program. In her time away from academics, Mary Quinn loves spend time with friends, shop for new skincare and makeup, listen to music, and read. Mary Quinn absolutely adores her two dogs, Joey and Murphy, and likes to spend her free time helping out at the local SPCA. She believes there is no crisis that cannot be solved by a good hike or walk. Mary Quinn's favorite conversation starter is that she won Camp Gossip and Best Tan at the summer camp she worked at. There is nothing Mary Quinn loves more than Ethel Cain's music and the Allegany River Trail. Mary Quinn is currently a second-year student studying English with a passion for philosophy. Aside from Her Campus, Mary Quinn has previously written for PolitiFact NY, a media organization dedicated to publishing the whole truth, as a political reporter. Mary Quinn is involved with SBU College Democrats, is co-president of Break the Bubble, a campus service organization, and an ambassador for St. Bonaventure University's Freshman Leadership Program. In her time away from academics, Mary Quinn loves spend time with friends, shop for new skincare and makeup, listen to music, and read. Mary Quinn absolutely adores her two dogs, Joey and Murphy, and likes to spend her free time helping out at the local SPCA. She believes there is no crisis that cannot be solved by a good hike or walk. Mary Quinn's favorite conversation starter is that she won Camp Gossip and Best Tan at the summer camp she worked at. There is nothing Mary Quinn loves more than Ethel Cain's music and the Allegany River Trail.