This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

As winter approaches, the sun begins to set earlier, and you are trading out your fall flannels for your winter coat. You may notice that your mood is changing with the seasons. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), or seasonal depression, is a common disorder, with more than three million cases in the U.S. annually. It occurs in individuals living in locations with an expansive time period with little to no sun (*cough cough* Western New York for half the year). Symptoms of SAD include feeling sad for an extended period of time, losing interest in activities you once enjoyed, lethargy, an excessive amount of sleep, overeating, difficulty concentrating, and suicidal thoughts.

These symptoms are congruent with that of depression, but they are unique because they appear in the early fall or winter and disappear in the spring and summer. Living in New York State for most of my life, I have noticed how many people are affected by seasonal depression. Every year when the days got shorter, and the sun was not out, people around me struggled mentally. The sun is vital to mental health because it releases serotonin, the hormone associated with boosting mood and feeling calm and focused. When the sun is not present, you aren’t outside as much, and you aren’t hanging out with friends. This can be detrimental to your overall well-being.

Battling seasonal depression in college can be especially difficult because you are dealing with many other stressful factors like school, work, your social life, and more. Sometimes you may feel like you are confined to your tiny dorm room, and you only leave to attend school and eat. It can become monotonous and negatively affect your college experience.

Tips for battling seasonal depression

Light therapy: Light therapy (phototherapy) is the first line of treatment for SAD. Being exposed to artificial light promotes the maintenance of your circadian rhythm, which is disturbed when depression settles in. Light therapy lamps and boxes give off light that mimics the sunshine. Sitting in front of the lamp for 20 to 30 minutes a day can alter the chemistry in your brain and boost your mood. You can purchase a therapy lamp on amazon for as little as $20, and they even come in cute shapes, like the moon!

Prioritize social activities: Generally, engaging in social interaction is important to stay mentally healthy. This means that it is extremely important to do so when the winter months come creeping in. Plan times for you and your friends to hang out during the week so that you have that to look forward to. This can be as simple as going on a walk, going to the library to do your homework, grabbing coffee, or attending an event put on by your college. During freshman year, my friends and I always looked forward to watching the bachelor in the lounge every Monday. Isolating yourself is the worst possible thing to do when battling depression, so spending time with people you care about is important.

Aromatherapy: Essential oils also have been shown to help influence the area of the brain responsible for controlling moods, sleep, and appetite. Not only do they smell good, but they can also help your mental well-being! Oils such as lavender, chamomile, and grapefruit are said to help with calming, focus, energy, and sleep. You can use body oils, aroma sticks, essential oil jewelry, and aroma diffusers.

Get moving: Exercise is another way to help alleviate symptoms of SAD. If it is too cold to go outside, going to the gym is an option. Sometimes going to the gym can be daunting, so things as simple as yoga, dance, swimming, or workout videos are a great alternative. I like to do stretching videos in my dorm to start the morning and get the blood flowing. It always makes me feel better to work out, even if it’s something simple for 30-45 minutes.

Talk to a professional: First in foremost, when you are experiencing persistent symptoms that I described above, it is important to speak to your doctor or mental health professional. Everyone can benefit from therapy regardless of what they are going through. You are not alone.

Kim Mitchell is a member of the SBU Her Campus chapter. This is her second year writing for the site. Kim covers advice and experience pertaining to college life and emotional well-being. She also covers popular media such as trending telivision shows and books. Kim is currently a senior at St.Bonaventure University. She is pursuing a bachelor of arts in psychology and a spanish minor with aspirations to attain a masters in clinical mental health counseling. When she is not writing you can find Kim singing in her church's worship band, outside enjoying nature, or curled up with a good book. She is always down to challenge you in a game of Mario Kart, knowing full well she will probably be in last place.