Alfonso De Falco: Bonaventure Rugby Achieves New Level

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Alfonso De Falco

Year: Senior

Major: Journalism & mass communication

Minor: Sports management

Hometown: Oyster Bay, NY.

Her Campus: “You’ve been on the rugby team since your freshman year. How has the program grown over these past few years?”

Alfonso De Falco: “When I came to St. Bonaventure we played fairly well in the Division I AA level, where we have been competitive for years. To see our small program move up to Division I A and play against big schools like Penn State and West Point has overall been a great experience.”

HC: “Now that you are considered to be a part of Division 1 A, how have things changed?”

AD: “Teams are way more completive so everyone on the team had to step up. We now have morning lifts; we learn a lot more in practice and have more film sessions, where we learn the game from other teams. We watch how other teams play and that’s how we improve as a team. We also have a new coach, Tui Osborne. From day one, the first practice, he took great control. From the first week we all wanted to get better. After not even being here for a full year yet, I see drastic improvements with the team.”

HC: “What are your expectations for this season?”

AD: “We have a really young team, so as long as we keep improving and being competitive against top teams in the conference, eventually everything we have worked towards will be translated into wins.”

HC: “What would you say to someone who is interested in playing rugby?”

AD: “Definitely come to a practice. There have been new guys that show up to a practice and feel connected to the team right away. We are open with helping people learn the game for those who have never played.”

HC: “What are some of your best memories from rugby?”

AD: “Winning the ACRC Bowl Game in Charlotte, NC against Western Michigan my junior year, last year. It was a great game of rugby. Both sides were competitive. It was a constant battle but we ended up winning 19–17. It was my favorite game played as a Bonnie.”

HC: “Outside of rugby, what are some of your hobbies or interests?”

AD:  “I’m a big sports guy. I currently write for a blog called ‘Basketball Society’ where I talk about topics regarding basketball. I also have a podcast called ‘Society Slam’ with a couple of my buddies who also write for the blog. I’m also a big video game nerd.”

HC: “Do you have any time management tips?”

AD: “For every class syllabus I write down everything that is due in my planner. I then write when practices and club meetings are and class times. My tip would be to just write down everything that you have to do as soon as you receive it “

HC: “When you have time, what is your favorite Netflix show to binge watch?”

AD: “I just finished ‘Narcos.’ I highly recommend ‘Narcos’ because it’s really good. I want to start ‘Stranger Things’ next.”

HC: “How do you feel that this is your last year at St. Bonaventure?”

AD: “It’s crazy to think that four years have flown by. It’s upsetting that I’ll be leaving in less than a year, but I am excited to see what the future has in store.”

HC: “Do you have any ideas or plans on what’s next after graduation?”

AD: “I really want to work something in sports; with either radio, TV, broadcasting– anything like that. It’s something I can talk about without being bored. And it’s never the same news– there is always something new. “

Photo Credit: Alfonso Del Falco

cheese pizza fanatic
I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.