8 Reasons Everyone Should Consider Counseling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

We’ve all heard it: “Counseling is for people with problems.” While this might seem like an unfair generalization, it’s true—because all of us have problems. So, forget what you’ve heard because life isn’t easy and we can all benefit from counseling.

1.)  In a lot of cases, it’s free.

A lot of insurance companies cover a majority of counseling costs. So luckily, finances won’t always play a part in your decision on whether or not it’s worth attending.

2.)  You won’t be labeled as a “complainer” anymore.

Many of us fall into the unhealthy pattern of complaining about our daily struggles to anyone passing by. It’s natural for us to vent, but sometimes it’s better to save it for the professionals.  By attending counseling, you’re able to let it all out at your scheduled session. This way, you’ll walk out of your therapist’s office feeling relieved and won’t have to unload on your friends.

3.) It’s confidential, so you’ve got nothing to lose.

While it’s not a guarantee that your friends and family will keep your deepest, darkest secrets, your counselor’s confidentiality is guaranteed. This way, you can tell as much or as little as you’d like—without any fear of rumors and drama.

4.)  Your counselor is flexible.

Nobody forces you to attend your session, so you have the option to skip if you choose. Sometimes life throws you curveballs and nobody can plan for that. Thankfully, your counselor understands and won’t be offended if you aren’t feeling up to chat on the day of your session.

5.)  In most cases, you choose the length of your session.

Again, counseling offers a lot of freedom. So if you’re on a busy schedule, you can work with your counselor to find times that work with your busy days.  

6.)  Your counselor doesn’t tell you what to do.

The common misconception that counselors are problem-solvers couldn’t be farther from the truth. Your therapist is there to help you work things out verbally. While they might pose a few ideas for how to combat an issue, you’d be surprised how often you come to a conclusion yourself.  Sometimes just letting it all out is all it takes to find a solution.

7.) It’s an unbiased source.

Your counselor’s advice is the best you’ll get, since they’re totally unbiased. They know nothing about your past or the current life you’re living, other than what you tell them, so their feedback isn’t clouded by judgement.

8.)  Your counselor really does care.

If you make the decision to keep attending counseling, it’s likely that you’ll build some sort of friendship with your counselor. You might even find yourselves spending a good portion of your session just catching up. Knowing that your counselor cares about your wellbeing will pave the way to more successful sessions and a great friendship.

Freshman journalism and mass communication major at St. Bonaventure University
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.