This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Growing up in a Christian household, allowed me to become spiritually connected and know the Lord for myself. Both my father and grandfather are ordained, and licensed ministers and they taught me the importance of how to speak, what to declare, claim, and even rebuke. Speaking prosperity over my life has always been instilled in me. The tongue is very powerful as life and death lie in it.

Many of us go through battles yet we are unsure why. We wonder why we are in the situations that we are in, and we struggle to find a way to get out.

Psalm 45 tells us our tongue is the pen of a skillful writer. 

This means two things:

Our tongues can speak positive things into our lives

Our tongues can speak negative things into our lives

There is so much power when we speak. Our future depends on us speaking prosperity and health. Often, we allow certain thoughts to resonate within our minds simply because of something we spoke. When you speak these are your declarations. The bounds of our lives are set by the choices we make with our words. Our ability to effectively communicate helps us achieve on many levels.  The true power of words is in our interpretation and meaning.  

When we are defining our life, the power of words comes into the equation. Some of the most powerful influences in our life are the words we use to characterize ourselves and our identity on a regular basis in our minds.

We are letting the power of words work against us if we frequently talk down about ourselves or even conserve with others who do the same. We can lose our ability to find significant meaning in our life if we tell ourselves hurtful or false realities. We must also be careful of the company we keep. Our tongue is not the only tongue with power, so what we allow and accept from others is detrimental as well. 

Always be careful of the company you keep and who you let come into your life. Be mindful of what you accept from the mouth of others.

Try speaking positivity over yourself and I guarantee you will experience a shift. Eliminate the battles you bring on yourself and turn your tongue into the author of an amazing success story.

Liv Carter

Savannah '24

I am Olivia Carter and I attend Thee Illustrious Savannah State University. 🦋 21'-22' HerCampus Writing Coordinator!