This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

As students right now we get self-care PREACHED at us. As a social work student, self-care is essential to my career and avoiding burnout. However, the task of self-care we often get sold can make us feel like another item to the to-do list rather than what it is actually intended for: to relax and take care of ourselves. So here are some things that are ACTUALLY self-care that the media won’t tell you about.

Doing chores

Though doing chores might not feel like it when you do them, doing laundry, washing dishes, and just general cleaning can actually be a form of self-care. By doing a task that has weighed on you or made you feel negatively and actually accomplishing it you practiced self-care!

Working out or taking a day off

If you haven’t had a day off from your workout routine, maybe it’s time to take a step back. Your muscles and body need rest as much as they need exercise, it’s all about balance. On the flip side of that, working out after not doing it for a while is be a form of self care as well. 

Women lifting barbell
Photo by Sven Meike from Unsplash

Eating your favorite meal/snack

No matter how healthy or not this is, indulge, and eat. Having a treat like an unhealthy snack or taking the time to make a meal. 

Photo by One Shot from Pexels

Saying No

This is the hardest self-care step to take for me. I love to take every opportunity I can to have new experiences and make new memories. I also struggle with feeling like abandoning someone if I don’t always say yes. Saying no to plans and taking time to lay down your workload is NOT selfish, and is actually important, so try it!

Budgeting Your Money

Making sure you can provide for yourself and not going into debt with bills and activity is a way of stress reduction and self-care. By paying attention to how you’re spending your money and taking care of your finances so you can afford to eat and live comfortably is self-care.

Putting money in a piggy bank
Photo by Damir Spanic from Unsplash

Self-care is a balancing act and no one said it was easy, but it is important to take care of yourself and well being.
Social work and psych student going to grad school(send help) Gryffindor, Demigod, and reader of all the YA I can. Zodiac: Scorpio Fave flower: Snapdragon Fave color: Purple Fun Fact: I saw Pentatonix (2017) and Panic! at the Disco(2018) twice in one year
Her Campus at SAU