Life > Academics

Tips for When it Feels Like You’re Drowning in Responsibility

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

I think that we can all agree that the pressure at the beginning of the semester is next to none; new classes, new professors, new clubs, maybe new roommates and friends, homework, and trying to find a balance. It’s a lot. And as someone who is perpetually overbooking themselves and taking on too many responsibilities, it can feel impossible. However, there are a few things that I have learned that help me get through it all.

Make yourself a to-do list. Seriously though, do it. It helps you think through everything you need to do, organize it so you don’t forget things, and the gratification of crossing something off of the list is one of the best feelings.

Download the Audiobook version of the readings you need to do. You can listen while you do other things and cut out so much time.

Set reminders on your phone for when things are due!

Get moving! When you are feeling burned out, take a walk, go to the gym, take a shower, make a meal, refresh yourself so that you can get back to it stronger than before.

Disconnect. Stay off of TikTok and actually do your homework. I love mindlessly scrolling just as much as the next girl, but there comes a point when you just use it to procrastinate. Set yourself a limit of how much time you can spend on Social Media, and then when the time is up, get to work. 

Change your surroundings. If you cannot focus in your dorm, go somewhere else. A change of scenery is sometimes all that you need.

Take a break. Call people that love you when you need some encouragement. Be honest with them about how you’re feeling, and their guidance may be just what you need to make it through to the next assignment.

Hi! My name is Isabelle. I am a Junior at SAU majoring in Secondary Ed and English with an endorsement in ESL. I enjoy brunch dates, discovering new places, thrifting, and can usually be found in the woods hiking.