Life > Experiences

Olivia Rodrigo Guts World Tour

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

I haven’t gotten to go to a concert in several years so this was a great one to attend.

I got to see Olivia Rodrigo live in Chicago performing Guts!!! It was such an amazing concert that was the highlight of my year so far. I got to go with my sister and we had such a great time; she even announced at the end that she is releasing GUTS DELUXE on the coming Friday. The Opener for the concert was Chappel Roan. I was not super familiar with this artist but her music was amazing and made me want to find more of her music. 

Here are my thoughts from the concert and with each song in set list order. This is my personal opinion and I do have some personal favorite songs!

Bad Idea, Right?

The attitude and sass she was serving during this song was a great start to the concert. 9/10

Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl

Personally, this song isn’t my favorite and I generally skip it when it comes up on my playlist so it was okay seeing her sing it live. I really only like the lyrics “It’s social suicide”. 5/10

Vampire

The red spotlights moving throughout the stage and stadium really made the mood of the piece. This is one of my favorite songs and seeing it live made it even so much more intense. I definitely sang this song at the top of my lungs and lived in every note of it. 10/10 

Traitor

I think it was a big difference going from vampire into this song that my brain needed to process the transition. I think this is a song that so many people can relate to in many different situations so the audience got to emotionally connect with her in this moment. 6.5/10

Driver’s License

This was the first song I ever heard of hers so seeing it live made me remember the first time I heard it and how it made me feel. This song definitely pulls at the heartstrings of the listener and seeing it live, she didn’t portray the same face as in the music video so it didn’t pull me in as much as she went along. 7/10

Teenage Dream

This is one song that I am not a huge fan of and maybe it’s because I am not a teenager anymore. Seeing her sing it on stage was pretty but nothing special. 5/10

Pretty isn’t Pretty

I think this song is definitely what many girls go through as society likes to tell us how females should look so hearing this was a reminder that pretty isn’t something that can be defined by what each person sees individually. Seeing this song it person definitely made me feel like I was gonna cry for a moment but I didn’t. 9.5/10

Love is Embarrassing

The dancing was so funny and the back up dancers sold the part so well and it made me laugh and just really have a fun time with my sister by forgetting everything else that was going on in the world. 9/10

Making the Bed

For this song, she was on a raised platform and sang this song mostly laying down. The screen kept changing between a side view and one coming from above her which made this different then what most singers do at concerts. It made the song stand out. 7/10

Logical

For this song, Olivia sits down on this purple moon and it’s so cute but what I didn’t expect was for it to start being suspended in the air like it was floating and go over the audience while she sat on the piece. It was absolutely amazing and gave such a moment to this song but also allowed her to be unique from other people who tour and mainly stay on the stage. 9.5/10

Enough for You

This one comes from her Sour album and makes you think about what other people want us to be. It’s an okay song but it seems similar to “pretty isn’t pretty” so ADHD me got a bit distracted and decided to go use the bathroom real quick. 4.5/10

Lacy

I think this song was cute and the dancers definitely helped play into that with their outfits and movement. This song is very delicate as well. I did miss the beginning though as I was coming back from the bathroom. 5/10

Jealousy, Jealousy

For this song, she came down from the stage and walked close to the audience and came close enough for her and them to touch. She gave hugs, touched hands, and selfies. Not really one of my favorite songs. I tend to skip this one as well. 6/10

Surprise Song: Can’t Catch Me Now

She decided to surprise us with her song from the Hunger Games in Ballads of Songbirds and Snakes. This is my absolute favorite song above all else so I almost cried when she started to sing it! 100/10!!!

Happier

She sang this one with minimal additional instruments except for a single acoustic guitar that was on the stage with her. The guitarist and her sat on the edge of the stage and sang the song. I think having minimal moment and complexity gave the piece such a light feeling and portrayed the emotion that was being looked for. 8/10

Favorite Crime

This song also comes from her Sour album. It is a good song and I absolutely love the lyrics but didn’t enjoy it as much live. This song has so much emotion built into it that it doesn’t need much to be amazing but could easily be overdone. 7/10

Deja Vu

This song is absolutely amazing and jabs at the right things. I wish none of my exes decided to do things with me that they did with others first but hey, they are exes for a reason. Hopefully the guy I am with right now isn’t having deja vu. I know that I am not having any of that because he is completely different then who I usually go out with and it’s such a fun time. 7/10

The Grudge

It’s a good song but it didn’t stand out too much to me. It was a good transition song to take a moment and take a breath but also was emotional because so many people don’t feel like they are strong enough to get through difficult things. 6/10

Brutal

I distinctly remember the music video for this one with the ballerinas. This is a great song to go to next after “the grudge” and it also mentions another song titled “teenage dream” in the song. It seems soft but has hard hitting moments. It does have some moment where it feels like complaining in the song. 5/10

Obsessed

This song is so good and part of me wants GUTS Deluxe to have an additional part to add to it or a part two to this song. This song is one of my favorites so I was singing it at the top of my lungs. 10/10

All-American Bitch

I was obsessed with how she told everybody to scream during this song. It was so intense and smart because it saved her vocals. She knows how to kill a show by making it incredibly memorable. 8.5/10

Good 4 U 

This was her first encore song. I think this was a great song to start her encore part with and kept the concert going. Some artist throw out an easy song so they don’t need to think to hard or move to much but she went the opposite way and said fuck it, lets go out banging. 9/10

Get Him Back

This was her last encore song. This is my sister’s personal favorite song and I could tell. It was another great song choice and it left me wanting her to sing another song so I felt like something was missing when she didn’t. It is a great song that makes you smile and feel the need to sing along. 8/10

Veronica A(V) is the Campus Correspondent at HC @ SAU. She oversees the entire chapter including editorial, events, social media, etc. Beyond HC, V is involved on campus. She is the President of DAPi. She is the Social Media Director for SAAT, and a Sexual Assault Advocate. Veronica is majoring in Early Childhood Education with an endorsement in Special Education and a minor in Music. She is currently student teaching!!! In her freetime, V plays the flute and other instruments and can sing. She used to play and coach softball. Veronica was born in Florida but now lives in Illinois. She also has 2 cats at home. She was the D.E.I. Ambassador for 2 years.