Me? Stress Baking? It’s more likely than you think.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Finals week has descended upon us all, and now that I’m home, I’m back to my usual coping mechanism; baking. I’ve cranked out macaroons, muffins, and many other delicious treats that help me take my mind off everything else. Ironically enough though, a common theme seems to be reoccurring throughout my baking frenzy, and that would be lemons! Everything is lemon-flavored, lemon garnished, or lemon glazed. So I decided to share with you all some of my favorite lemon – themed recipes! (The links are attached to each title highlighted in pink.)

1. Raspberry Lemon Muffins

Muffins
Torey Walsh / Spoon

These quickly became a favorite of mine because they’re, quick, easy, and relatively healthy! Also, you can customize them any way you want, you can easily use blueberries, blackberries, or strawberries (fresh or frozen) to make them to your taste. Muffins are easily one of the most versatile treats, so feel free to mix it up however you want! Need a quick breakfast or a light snack? These are perfect for you and are sure to be a favorite!

2. Lemon Macaroons

galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio

I had been wanting to try making macaroons for a while, and despite the fact that I was a little nervous, I tried my best and was super happy with the results! Honestly, the best advice I can give for these is to FOLLOW THE RECIPE! It is lengthy having to let everything sit for a certain amount of time, but at the end of the day, that could be what makes or breaks a pastry. Fortunately, this recipe and website gave great step by step instructions on how to make sure your macaroons are a success, and my first attempt turned out awesome! Be patient, and all will work out in the end!

3. Cheese Danishes with Lemon Glaze

Bagels
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

This was one of the first new recipes I tried and I loved it! I would definitely recommend doing the safe thing and buying the puff pastry dough instead of trying to make it from scratch. Mine weren’t as pretty as they in the video, but they’re certainly as delicious! Again, you can add whatever berries you’d like, but what honestly pulls these together is the glaze (and I’m not just saying that because it’s lemon-flavored). I’m definitely making these again ASAP, and will probably eat them all in the same day. 

4. Lemon Poppy Seed Cake

pink cake and cookies
Photo by Jill Wellington from Pexels

I made this in a pinch for Easter weekend and it did not disappoint! I had to hunt the store for poppy seeds, but once I found them and the baking commenced, I was easily able to make a delicious dessert! It also has my favorite type of frosting which is buttercream (whip frosting in the worst sorry not sorry). And if I was able to successfully make the cake in the middle of a busy kitchen full of an obnoxious amount of people, I’m sure you can make it in a, hopefully, much calmer kitchen. 

5. Lemon Tart

Key Lime Pie
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

This was definitely one of the preferred recipes, mainly because I don’t have to use the oven as much, which means the house doesn’t get as hot. Honestly, this one might not be everyone’s cup of tea; it is quite rich and definitely needs to be eaten in smaller portions. Other than that, it was great! It completed my lemon phase and is perfect to eat outside on one of these warm nights we’ve been getting! Smooth, tasty, and easy, this tart is something I can see myself baking again soon. 

So that’s pretty much me trying to be Izzy Stevens from Grey’s,  I mean hey, I’m already blonde and blue-eyed might as well add the baking trait! Whether you bake to calm down, or just to enjoy, these recipes will hopefully add a little zing to your kitchen! I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as I did!

Just a psych major looking to share some words!
Her Campus at SAU