This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

I know what you’re thinking: starting your own business is a total trend right now, what with COVID lockdowns, travel restrictions, and long breaks from in-person classes. Over our long winter break, I had a sudden urge to start crafting. So I did.

Person holding phone with TikTok
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Right before the Christmas festivities began, my mom went to Hobby Lobby one day, so I joined her on her trip (DISCLAIMER: do NOT allow yourself to take random trips to Hobby Lobby with your mom). I picked up a few spools of red and white ribbon, 15 feet of burlap, and two wreath frames. I went home, watched a YouTube video, and got to it. After poking myself with floral wire and breaking a few nails, I finally finished a beautiful red and white burlap wreath. I felt the need to make another one, only this time in black and red. I gave the finished products away as Christmas gifts. One person even offered to pa me to make her one! After much convincing from my dad, I decided to sell them on Instagram.

I began with merely burlap wreaths, which were pretty great gifts for family members and friends. Then, I expanded my horizons to floral wreaths and floral letters, much of which the supplies lay right next to my feet as I write this. I made several floral letters for my family members, friends, and even for myself to hang on my dorm room door.

keyboard journal and a pink rose
Photo by Laura Olsen from Unsplash

When my birthday came around, I decided I wanted a Cricut. Luckily, my parents offered to give me a little cash to use to purchase a Cricut Joy (highly recommended for beginners and hobby crafters) and supplies to go with it. Since then, I learned how to make custom stickers, thank you cards, and customized coffee mugs, I created different ideas, such as room signs and personalization on the items I make to sell. On top of it all, I love giving my Cricut-made thank you notes, cute scrunchies, and (soon) stickers with every order!

While I haven’t had a ton of traffic, I have had a few people that have been supporting my itty bitty business from the start. My friends and family have been supportive and helpful through it all, and I have had so many other small businesses supporting me with shoutouts and much-needed advice. 

notebook flat-lay with flowers
Photo by Ylanite Koppens from Pexels

I absolutely love creating things for others to enjoy, whether it’s big or small, ribbon or rose. It has given me an opportunity to make things and find stress relief through crafting! So, if you think you want to start your own show, DO IT! It’s worth the time and energy you put into it, and the support surrounding you will be ever-flowing. 

If you’d like to check out my work, feel free to look me up on Instagram and Facebook!

Facebook: Ivy Rose Creations

Instagram: @ivyrose.creations

Communications major at SAU Participates in the women's track and field program and KALA-FM Running, cat, coffee, and true crime enthusiast
Her Campus at SAU