This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

From time to time, we have all gotten these funny feelings or maybe even sick to our stomach. That weird “gut” feeling. Our instincts. Sometimes, a lot of the time, we have the tendency to ignore it and most of the time we wish we hadn’t. It may be immediate or it may take some time, but often times we realize what our instincts were telling us were right. 

Our instincts are more reliable that we often give them credit. This is actually a subconscious response to situations. For instance, if asked to go somewhere and you just have that “gut” feeling. Don’t go. That instinct can sense when we may be in danger or when somewhere may unsafe for you. We have a sense of feeling as if something isn’t right or off. You may have no idea what it is, but you feel uneasy or upset about something you’re about to do or some place you’re about to go or maybe a person you’re about to go with. Your instincts are telling you that you could be making a mistake. In long term situations, we can begin to feel off too. Maybe at work a supervisor is emotionally draining or a relationship in your life isn’t feeling quite right, but you can’t figure it out More than likely your instincts are trying to save you from any long term hurt. Your instincts will guide you where to go. This can tie into when we overthink new things or opportunities. We will find out about this new thing and be so excited! Then starts that nagging little voice in our head, the overthinker. It starts to ask all these questions and introduce fear into the equation. Then sometimes we end up walking away from what we were excited about. Stop! If your instincts are telling you that this new thing is okay, go for it! People can miss out on some amazing opportunities in life because fear holds them back. Have a little more faith in yourself and your instincts.

Sometimes when we are talking to friends or family, our instincts start to involve themselves in the conversation. That unease that we can sometimes get like something is about to happen. Sometimes in can be a bad feeling or sometimes it can be a good feeling, but you know that something is about to happen. Don’t ignore it. You very well could be helping someone reach for an opportunity they’re about to turn down or maybe save them from a dangerous situation. 

Your inner voice, your instincts will help you know what is right for you. Have faith in yourself. Sometimes when you know, you just know! Our instincts can even guide us to people and places that are meant to be in our lives. The ones that make positive impacts on my life. Our instincts are our subconscious and who else would know us best? If you want to hear it from a professional, I have included a link to the video that inspired me to write this article.

Psych2Go YouTube Channel- “7 Gut Instincts You Should Not Ignore”

https://youtu.be/NPQ0XCkD2jE

I am a Junior and non-traditional student at St. Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa, where I major in Social Work and a double minor in Sociology and Pre-Law. I'm a small-town farm girl who almost always has coffee or an energy drink in hand & I'm very passionate about the things I believe in! I intend to work in advocacy for Domestic Abuse/Violence, Sexual Assault, Mental Health, and Child Abuse with the goal of achieving better resources, better education, and better laws.
Her Campus at SAU