Exploitation in the Music Industry: Let’s Talk About ‘Gatekeeper’ By Jessie Reyez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

*TRIGGER WARNING*

This article contains sensitive content regarding sexual abuse.

The inequality of women in the music industry is not anything new. However, the glitz, glam, and hype can blind the best of us from seeing the blatant misogyny, sexism, and sexual exploitation that occurs all too often. A survey conducted by the US Music Industry Research Association uncovered that 67% of women that responded had experienced sexual harassment. Various well-known artists have come forward with their stories about being sexually abused at some point during their careers. Kesha brought allegations against her producer Dr. Luke, although the case was later dropped. Alanis Morissette has spoken up about the multiple instances of rape she experienced when she was only 15 years old getting started in the music industry. Aaliyah, a beloved R&B singer came forward about being sexually abused by R. Kelly when she was 13-14 years old. Unfortunately, this list continues, and female artists, especially when they are young and starting out, are treated as if success comes at the price of being sexually abused by influential male figures. 

Canadian singer Jessie Reyez does not let us push aside this social issue so easily. In 2017, Reyez released a song titled ‘Gatekeeper’ which appeared on her EP called ‘Kiddo.’ The track details what it is like to be a woman in the music industry, and there is definitely no sugarcoating what she says. If you have ever listened to this song, then you know the message is loud and clear. While the whole song is extremely powerful, and I highly suggest every single one of you listen to it if you can, certain verses give us a glimpse behind the curtain as to what it is like to be a woman in the music industry. 

First, let’s start with the opener of the song.

“30 million people want a shot

How much would it take for you to spread those legs apart?”

These two lines deliver a punch right at the beginning. The idea of coercing women into sex for a chance at success is immediately presented at the forefront of the song. A theme throughout the entirety of the track is the vulgar language that is used which makes the verses even more realistic and disgusting. The situations presented throughout are easily visualized with the way Reyez presents them.

“Oh, I’m the gatekeeper

Spread your legs, open up

You could be famous 

You know we’re holding the dreams that you’re chasing 

You know you’re supposed to get drunk and get naked”

This is my favorite verse of the song because of how blatantly clear Reyez makes the overall message. These women are supposed to get drunk, naked, and do whatever these men want them to do because, at the end of the day, they are the gatekeepers. They have the resources these women need to get started and be successful, and it is fully used to their advantage in exchange for the safety, dignity, and well-being of female artists. This verse represents someone dangling a key above these womens’ heads, just out of reach, in order to get what they want. 

“Girl, on your knees

Don’t you know what your place is?

Got gold on my d***, girl, don’t you wanna taste it?”

This is one of the more shocking verses of the song, but I thought it was important to include and end with. The degrading tone used in this verse fully captures the abusive nature of the music industry and how women are viewed as inferior to men, even as far as to think that it is a privilege for her to be able to engage in forced sexual activity with him. Women are expected to be submissive because ultimately, the gatekeepers control their careers. 

As a whole, the song is extremely negative, but it accomplishes something greater that can be seen in a positive light. Jessie Reyez shattered the facade the music industry has had and exposed the way women are treated. The lines she delivers corroborate the stories of all the women who have come forward with unnervingly similar stories. None of us enjoy hearing about the realities of what happens on the inside, but without being willing to listen to the stories of women in the music industry, the figures at the top will continue to violate and exploit other artists. By listening to and encouraging other artists to speak up about their abuse, we are condemning the way female artists are treated and seeking justice. We have to continue to support our fellow women (and those that are non-binary) that are involved in the music industry and take initiatives to end their exploitation. 

References: https://theconversation.com/is-sexual-abuse-and-exploitation-rife-in-the-music-industry-167852#:~:text=While%2067%25%20of%20women%20respondents,their%20health%20and%20their%20happiness.

Hello! I am a Forensic Psychology Major with Minors in Criminal Justice and Sociology. I am the secretary for Sexual Assault Awareness Team and am involved in STEP and Psychology Club at St. Ambrose University. In my free time I enjoy painting and embroidering, being a dog mom, and spending time with my friends!