This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Fall and Winter often bring their own struggles, with bad weather, stressful holidays, and other kinds of struggles that come around with the season. While there may be mental health struggles that come with the newfound lack of sun and warm weather, there may be some physical ways to alleviate these strains. Our physical and mental health tend to go hand and hand, and by helping one we may be able to help the other. Improving health is hard in its own right, but should really be taken seriously in the colder months – and being knowledgeable about how to help yourself out during these winter months can be really beneficial! 

First and foremost, try and make sure that you are getting your vitamin D! With daylight savings time resulting in less sunlight, our main source of this vitamin is depleted greatly. Lack of vitamin D can cause mental fog, fatigue, and a variety of other negative impacts to your health. By being in the sun when you can, as well as seeking out other sources of vitamin D, you can help keep your body functioning as well as possible. Whether its getting a multivitamin to help keep your levels up, or even finding new foods to try that are influential, increasing your vitamin D intake during times with little sun can be incredibly helpful to your health! It could also be an excuse to try out a new recipe in the name of improving yourself. 

I know that working out can be unappealing to people, but being physically active can help you feel less “ugh” in the wintertime. You don’t have to do a whole workout routine, or go to a fancy gym and having a detailed workout! Just walking either indoors or outdoors, maybe even busting out the old “just dance” games, or playing with a pet outside can all be great ways to get moving! Not only do you get endorphins, you also can help release some tension in your body, as carrying stress is never fun. Not to mention, if you want an excuse to get out of the house and get away from pestering family members, being focused on a workout is a great way to find some alone time. 

While I know I have been making a few teasing remarks about being around people or feeling frustrated by family, interacting with other people can also be a great way to help you feel better. Isolation is one of the harshest things about winter, and alleviating that is beneficial for everyone. Now you don’t have to have a house full of family members in order to get interaction, but visiting loved ones would be a good option to try out. Whether it’s getting out of the house to meet people for meals, hosting a dinner or party, or even just going over to someone else’s house to exist in the same space – genuine interactions are crucial to being human. Humans are meant to be social, and being cut off from that can be harmful, so intentionally seeking out and creating an environment for good interactions to take place is probably the best course of action. 

Overall, you know yourself better than I can sitting here typing on this screen! If you feel yourself struggling during these colder seasons, you could try some of the environmental suggestions I’ve made- or even try some of your own creations. While your physical and mental health are hand in hand, make sure you don’t neglect one in the name of taking care of the other.

BY: Katie Stock

Just a psych major looking to share some words!