Wellness > Mental Health

3 Physical Ways to take care of yourself in stressful times

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

College-induced burn-out is unfortunately nothing new, but how to deal with it is becoming more mainstream. There are various ways that people cope with this stress, and while some may be more popular than others, I thought I’d share my methods here. Talking through issues like these can be one of the best ways to help get past current struggles, and can help alleviate some of the stigma surrounding these issues. While they may not work for everyone (sometimes they don’t even always work for me) they may offer a way to alleviate some of the side effects of stress. 

Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
  1. Sleep

For me, it’s a rule of thumb that if you feel like the whole world is against you, crashing for a few can make all the difference. Whether it’s a couple of minutes before doing work, or a few hours in between work and classes, sleeping is often a reset point. Sleeping recharges the brain and offers your body a chance to relax from all the stress and distractions that the week may have thrown at you. Losing sleep can make you feel more stressed, and sometimes just supplying your body some rest is something it greatly needs. 

1. Eat

Eating is a tricky one, as some people’s relationship with food is directly related to how stressed they are, and it can, unfortunately, cause more stress. However, whenever you’re feeling especially stressed and annoyed with yourself and your surroundings, snacking might be the way to go. It may seem overused but ‘hangry’ is a real thing, people are so stressed out they forget to eat, and their bodies start to feel the effects of stress that much more. Even if it’s just a quick snack from a vending machine or coffee shop or a full meal- eating provides your body with the fuel it needs to keep you energized and focus on your tasks. 

1. Showering

Now it may not have to be a full shower, it could be a skin routine, dry shampoo, and some fresh perfume. But sometimes actually refreshing your body helps feel refreshed and rejuvenated in a way you might have been lacking beforehand. Not to mention, the shower is one of the best places to gather your thoughts which may be just what you need at that moment. On that note, a long hot shower offers a relaxing environment and may eliminate some of the environmental stress aspects that may have been hindering you. 

Stress is a multifaceted issue that usually doesn’t have one source, so there may not be one set solution for everyone’s situation. However, taking care of your physical needs can make your life a little easier, and may help take a little bit of the burden off your shoulders. Doing any, or all, of these three tricks, may make a stressful situation a little easier than it was before. That being said, you know what’s best for yourself and your body, and these tips are just my ways of taking care of myself when I need it the most! 

Just a psych major looking to share some words!