Wellness

Ways to ease seasonal depression as we get closer to the winter season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Seasonal Depression, also known as seasonal affective disorder, is a form of depression that is enhanced by the daylight and weather changes that the winter season brings. Sometimes the gloomy and cold weather can trigger a dreary and unmotivated spirit for those who suffer from seasonal depression. As we slowly head towards the wintertime, some may be worried and suffering anxiety regarding their seasonal depression. Although we cannot control the disorder, there are ways we can ease the toll the depression has on us during these cloudy seasons. Let’s look at some remedies we can perform ourselves to help ease the dreariness.
Take Advantage of Light
Some experts believe that seasonal depression occurs because our bodies are thrown off by changes like weather and daylight. Our routine gets ruined which may influence a lack of sleep. This can create an unmotivated and gloomy feeling. A way to help ease this feeling would be to take advantage of the lights within your house. Whether that be the light switch, lamps, night lights, and natural sunlight, they can all help create a brighter environment within your space. This ultimately helps you feel more awake and alert. The brightness can also help ease your gloomy mood and make you feel possibly more productive. As shocking as it is, the lights in your house can be a huge help regarding your seasonal depression.
Get Lots of Vitamin D
The lack of sunshine is one of the biggest triggers to seasonal depression. Depending on our work or school schedules it can be extremely difficult to experience the sunshine once it’s out. This is another contributor to the gloomy and unmotivated feelings we experience when we enter the winter season. The light within your living space is a huge help when it comes to creating that at-home sunshine, however, to absorb the sunshine like our bodies usually do we must take forms of vitamin D. This can be anything from salmon, oranges, orange juice, egg yolks or even vitamin D supplements. The sun can boost our energy and lift our spirits. In the winter we have little access to this feeling that is very important for some people. Taking forms of Vitamin D can help with that missing feeling. Including Vitamin D within your diet can potentially increase motivation and mood for those who experience the seasonal affective disorder.
Romanticize the Holiday Season
Although some of us may be feeling anxious regarding the winter season, we could also possibly be a little excited. Winter beholds the holidays, time spent with family, good food, and celebration. A way we can try to ease our seasonal depression is by attempting the romanticization of the holidays. Embrace the holiday you celebrate by decorating, visiting friends and family, baking holiday recipes, and listening to holiday music. This small attempt can make us accept the gloomy season and interpret it as beautiful and a time for celebration rather than dreariness. Romanticizing the holidays is a fun and distracting method that can ultimately really help ease our seasonal depression.
Entering the winter season is not easy for all of us. However, there are ways that we can ease our gloomy and dreary moods once we enter the season. Depression is different for everyone, and it comes in many different shapes and sizes. If these methods don’t seem to work for you and you need further assistance, please contact a hotline, or reach out to someone. Below are phone numbers and organizations to help.
Samaritans: 877-870-4673
San Francisco State University Nurse: 415-338-1251
(They will schedule you an appointment with a campus physiatrist)
San Francisco Crisis Hotline: 415-781-0500

Livia Williams

San Francisco '26

Hello! My name is Livia Williams I am currently a second year at SFSU majoring in journalism. I am a huge advocate for social justice issues and find pride in addressing the inequality that sadly still exists within our societies. I like to tell stories from women all over the world and captivate readers into understanding the obstacles they face on a day to day basis. I hope to provide women with a sense of peace when they read my work and gift them with the realization that they are not alone, and we are all in this together.