samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tweeting Your Way to a Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

We have all heard of the pitfalls of social media when it comes to projecting a positive image to your potential employers. However, the opposite can also be true: You can use Twitter, for example, to enter an industry and possibly land an internship or even a job.

What can you do to make this happen? Here are three tips to get you started:

#1: Project a Professional Image:

It goes without saying that you should present yourself at your best online just as you would in person at an interview. Therefore, it is imperative to clean up your social media accounts. This does not mean that your Twitter account should be impersonal. Rather, showcase your personality in a way that does not hinder your professional image.

#2: Follow Those in the Industry:

One of the best ways to learn more about the industry you are interested in is to follow those who are already working there. When you do this, you will keep yourself up-to-date with the latest industry news, including any job opportunities that may arise.

#3: Engage the Industry:

Not only should you follow those in the industry, but you should also reach out to them! Many times, they will even tweet back. (Hint: Networking opportunities!) A simple way to begin is to follow hashtag conversations. Another easy way to get involved is to re-tweet information that you find interesting or important. At the same time, however, it is also crucial that you create your own content. For example, if you read a news piece that was interesting, tweet about it. Potential employers want to see that you are actively engaged with the field you plan to work in.

Getting started might seem a daunting task, but as you slowly build your profile and your network, you’ll find that it is worth the hard work!

Image Source: Link

Elizabeth Lee

San Francisco

Elizabeth is currently a junior at San Francisco State University where she is studying Comparative Literature. She enjoys writing, learning foreign languages, and yoga.