This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Have you ever pictured yourself achieving some sort of goal before it came true, no matter how small, or seeing in your mind a dream or vision come to fruition? Have you ever told yourself something over and over to the point where you believed it, and it slowly but surely became your reality? If so, you have taken your first steps into the world of manifestation and affirmation! 

There are quite a lot of misconceptions regarding manifestation, and that is mainly due to the fact that it is still not fully understood in its full meaning and potential, and so the term is being used by many these days in more of a casual context. What it really is, is seeing your self-worth and igniting your own power to get to where you want to be. Gurus and witches and influencers alike will tell you to keep a manifestation and gratitude journal, which essentially is a process that is made to force you to remember what you already have and are grateful for. How I do my journaling, is I start off by being thankful and grateful for 3-5 or so specific people, things, or situations, and then I start going into 3-5 points that I am focusing on for the future – the key thing here is that I write it in the present tense as if it is my current reality. So, instead of saying, “I hope I pass that exam!”, I would write instead, “I am passing my exam”, or “I am passing my exam.” Not only will it help your outlook on things you might be worried or anxious about, but subconsciously, you will want to prove yourself right, and you will work harder to make this all happen, whether you realize it or not. According to the Law of Assumption, “everything that exists was once imagined.” What this second part of the journaling exercise does, is incorporate affirmations into your practice. If you are on TikTok at all, you might have heard this be referred to as the “Lucky Girl” method, with phrases being spoken out loud such as “everything works in my favor” and “everything I want, wants me more.”

While some incorporate crystals and sage and other material objects to help channel this energy which can be helpful should you want to explore that route, however for manifestation and affirmations, all you really need is yourself, and also preferably a journal plus a pen or pencil – because ultimately, the source of it all comes from within.

In a world where many aspects of our lives are chaotic, these methods can at times be a reminder of the fact that we do have more control of our fate than we thought we did. Sometimes, the universe takes us down a path we did not anticipate, but it is the path we are meant to be on. While we don’t have all of the answers at first, our purpose in our lifetimes is to put the pieces together as time goes on, and the key to doing that is believing you will do so and end up exactly where you were supposed to be in the end when all is said and done. We are all here for the experience, after all. The only constant is change and life is short, so we might as well buckle in and enjoy the ride.

Vera Maksymiuk

San Francisco '24

English major who is passionate about poetry, literature, pop culture, art, fashion, music, world news and politics :)