nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Stigma Around Mental Health: Tips on Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Seemingly, everyone wants to talk about self-care except when it comes down to mental sanity. Now, while it is extremely important to care for yourself physically, mental health is such a vital thing.

In fact, the culture around how being “stressed” makes you seem productive counteracts the entirety of stress itself. This day and day, it seems like if you aren’t stressed about your stress, you’re clearly not doing enough. Having a personal experience from low mental health, it’s never a fun time not having the ability to worry anything besides your own worrying. From my own personal experience, I wanted to share some tips on how to care for not only your physical self, but your mental self as well.

1. Find your safe space.

Find a place or even a person you can trust in. Whether that could be your parents, roommates, or even a counselor’s office, find a safe place to be yourself with. For me, I feel the best confiding with my mother and my boyfriend, the two people I tell my world to. Talking to someone about your day, and even your little accomplishments makes stress relief a bit easier.

2. Take time to be with yourself.

Some days, the world seems like challenge after challenge, and some weeks seem dragged on forever. Take at least one day to be with yourself. Settle down in the comfort of your space of choosing and do the things that you love to do. For example, when the world feels heavy on my shoulders, I like to be in my room and paint whatever comes to mind. I don’t focus on the other stressors I have, I just take an hour or two to be with myself and relax.

3. Make your achievements a daily thing.

Like previously mentioned, when you’re not feeling your best, the world feels dull. Focusing on the small achievements you make on a daily basis enables you to feel a bit more positive about yourself. I love to focus on the small achievements like a quiz grade I did great on, or even social interaction is an accomplishment.

You did it, you went to class and you listened, that’s something to be extremely proud of.

Take the stigma out of hiding your mental health. Take consideration and kindness towards yourself. It’s so important to care for yourself as much as you care for others, because school can be a difficult thing. The world can be tough and seemingly, overwhelming, but know that you are never alone. You are so incredibly loved by family, friends, and even strangers you pass by, you are going to be a difference in this world, and taking charge and care for yourself is just the first step. Never feel afraid to reach out, if you’re feeling down for a stretch of time, contact your local school counselor, nothing is wrong with getting help when you need it.    

Hi there, for any questions or feedback, feel free to contact me at soapbach@gmail.com.