jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Last week I came across an article about customers of a restaurant complaining that the service was slow, even though the restaurant staff argued that their service was the same for years as well as the number of customers. Eventually it was found that the customers took longer getting their order because they would be on their phone taking pictures, texting and what not, while the waiters would patiently wait for them to order.

We are all aware of the addiction we have to our phones and other electronic devices, and I hear everyone complaining around me. However, nobody (me included) seems to realize that we’re just complaining instead of acting upon the problem. We still have our eyes glued to our phones in the bus, at the restaurant, in class (don’t even try to deny it), in the bathroom…pretty much 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Not only is this behavior bad for our health in countless ways, but it affects how we interact with others. Social media makes us more anti-social than ever, and there are moments that really, really should become phone-free moments.

At the theater:

This one goes without saying – or so I thought: people still find a way to text in the middle of a movie! It;s not a good look, it’s straight up annoying, and it’s disrespectful to the person youre with, especially if ou’re on a date. So please, please, unless it’s a matter of life or death: keep your shiny screen away.

At a concert:

Remember when we went to concerts to enjoy the music and dance and have fun? Yeah, it’s also very blurry in my head. Nowadays, all we do is stand still, with our phones up in the air, trying to record the whole thing so everyone on Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat can see how much fun we seem to be having, but aren’t really. There are so many reasons why this is wrong: you don’t fully enjoy the music, you paid for a concert that you’re watching through a screen anyway, and you risk to lose your phone/camera at any moment. Do yourself a favor: put the phone down, put your hands up, enjoy every moment, and repost someone else’s picture later! ;)

On a dinner date:

…or a lunch date, or a coffee date and any other types of dates. You’re missing the opportunity of discovering the person you’re on a date with because you absolutely want to snapchat your meal, and that’s just not okay. Actually, it’s pretty lame. Enjoy the time you have together, get to know him/her. And if you’re worrying about that gorgeous plate of pasta you wanted all your friends to see, I’m pretty sure you’ll have that again. In the meantime, put your phone down and flirt away!

While driving:

Seriously, it’s obvious.

Maybe I’m seriously getting old (21 is pretty old, right?), or common sense decided to hit me just now, but there are lots of things a smartphone is amazing for. Thanks for Instagram and Snapchat, cute selfies and texting, but I do want to hold on to certain moments, when it’s all about sharing with one another. Whether it’s a meal, a movie of just a period of time, we need to go back to being social animals, as opposed to hyper-connected robots. I hope I’m not the only one!

Bisous, Brigitte