Postseason Heartbreak Advice to Dodgers Fans from a Giants Fan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

The best two words in sports: Game 7. However, in the outcome of a Game 7 there is only one winner.

The 2017 World Series was a ride if you were a Houston Astros or a Los Angeles Dodgers fan. After a long fight for the title, the Astros defeated the Dodgers 5-1 which lead to their first World Series title. In Los Angeles, Dodger fans walked of the stadium with sadness after witnessing the Astros celebrate on their turf. Los Angeles fans couldn’t dodge memes and roasts from social media accounts. Meanwhile up north, San Francisco fans had giant smiles on their faces as they watched their rivals choke.

I know I did.

This article isn’t a “roast” for Dodgers fans. I’ll leave the roasting to Instagram and Twitter. However, this is more of a dealing with heartbreak article. After the game ended, I looked at Snapchat stories and tweets on my phone from my fellow Giants fans. Every snap story or tweet was of the game celebrating the Dodgers loss. However, there were some snap stories and tweets from my Dodgers fan friends that made me kind of think. Some tweets that I saw involved lots of crying, heartbreak, and loss of hope. That was something I, a Giants fan, can completely relate to. In 2016, the Giants were eliminated by the Cubs in the NLDS.

What’s more sad is the Giant’s 2017 regular season. The orange and black finished last place in the National League West 64-98. Yikes. I dealt with heartbreak all season long whereas Dodgers fans dealt with heartbreak for one postseason game. As one baseball fan to another, you have to embrace your team losing and. As weird as that sounds, it just works. I know it worked for me. While people stopped attending Giants games because “they sucked”, they missed out on so many discounts and cheap tickets.

So, you crying and whining Dodgers fans (sorry I’m trying to be nice), here’s some advice on dealing with postseason heart break.

Cry

Honestly, just cry. Cry at home, cry in the shower, under the covers, etc. Let all those tears out. You’ll feel better.

Talk about it with your fellow baseball loving friends

Talking about the game and postseason with your friends will help you get over the biggest L your team took this season. Feel free to get heated and talk smack about the players too.

Embrace the L

I can’t even count how many times I’ve seen the Giants lose this season when I’ve gone to a game. Sometimes before first pitch, I already called the L. As hard as it was, I embraced the L. I kept going back to games and stayed positive even when they were getting their asses whooped. So for you, embrace that L from game seven. Only two teams went all the way this season, and your team was one of them.

Discounted merchandise

Yes! Merchandise goes down when your team chokes or is crappy. Trust me. Some merchandise at the Giants Dugout Store was 50 percent off during the summer. I bought 3 shirts and a hat. Don’t be afraid to treat yourself and get that 50 percent off World Series home jersey.

Cheap tickets. YES. Cheap tickets

My go to app/sites to get baseball tickets are Stubhub and Gametime. Yes, both are known for already having super cheap tickets. However, I noticed a decline in ticket prices once the Giants started falling in the standings. The cheapest ticket to see the Giants and Dodgers play at AT&T Park on a Friday night would cost you at least $56 to $60 at the beginning of the baseball season. Towards the middle of the season, prices went down. Those tickets would now cost you $20 to $25. I’ve bought tickets between $4 to $10 on Stubhub or Gametime.

$4 to see a baseball game and with your squad? I think yes.

Look forward to the following season

After the last out of Game 7, I knew I had to brace myself for the long off season. What you have to do is look forward to the new season and see what’s in store your each team. Be open minded with the new players and embrace the changes in the pitching rotation. Pray that your crappy players will get traded.

I hope you take this advice to heart and it helps you get over game seven. The 2018 season is four months away from now but I know that I can’t wait to Beat LA.

Happy off season from your favorite rival fan.

Alondra Vega

San Francisco '19

Senior at San Francisco State University.